What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Fishy on January 12, 2023, 09:47:56 PMNow onto binge watching Detectorists..glorious..... half way thru season 3

Wonderful stuff. The writing, acting, photography, all amazing. I'm keeping the special for a rainy day (metaphorically).

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Matt2112 on January 14, 2023, 03:12:44 AMWhich reminds me: remember that almost novelty dance song Blue by Eiffel 65 that got to no. 1 in 1998?

I thought I'd never heard this so jumped onto YouTube. Noticed there was 148K comments, so as the first verse played I assumed I had been living on Mars when it had been released, as I still didn't recognise the song. Then, that chorus hit. It all came flooding back. Truly awful.😁

Fishy

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on January 14, 2023, 11:03:04 AM
Quote from: Fishy on January 12, 2023, 09:47:56 PMNow onto binge watching Detectorists..glorious..... half way thru season 3

Wonderful stuff. The writing, acting, photography, all amazing. I'm keeping the special for a rainy day (metaphorically).

Yep absolutely..now finished it off...
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

I watched David Bowie: Finding Fame last night on the iPlayer. Fantastic documentary examining Bowie's career from his earliest days as Davy Jones up to Ziggy Stardust.

What really struck me, apart from the number of failures early on is that in the late '60s, when there's some fantastically progressive and innovative music coming out of Britain, David is still writing and recording really schlocky, blandly orchestrated musical theatre type housewife music. And yet he overcomes this to be two steps ahead of everyone else in the space of a few short years.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

captainkurtz

Banshees of Inisherin
Funny little film.  At times, watching it was a slog.  But it lingers in the memory and I found it quite affecting.  ASTOUNDING performances abound.  The young lad, in particular, gives an incredible performance and once scene in particular is devastating.

dom

Barry Keoghan? He was excellent. I've followed him since I saw him in the Irish drug drama Love/Hate.  Then he was in Chernobyl. In both roles he shot at pets. In Love/Hate it was a cat, he was playing a teen given a gun by the gang. In Chernobyl he was a soldier charged with killing all the  radiation infected dogs in the area. Must have thought he was getting typecast!

captainkurtz

That's the one.  Brilliant here, really brilliant.

pxr5

Just finished Wednesday. A great first series. All the actors are excellent; it's well written too with excellent production. A solid 9/10 and hopefully a second series soon.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Fishy

dom

Slow Horses, a bit like a grimy version of Spooks, first impressions are good

Fishy

Slim

Quote from: dom on January 15, 2023, 10:19:28 PMSlow Horses, a bit like a grimy version of Spooks, first impressions are good

Just watched a trailer. I love anything with Gary Oldman in it really and he seems to be excellent in this. Wonder if I can download it somewhere.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Quote from: Slim on January 16, 2023, 12:44:31 AM
Quote from: dom on January 15, 2023, 10:19:28 PMSlow Horses, a bit like a grimy version of Spooks, first impressions are good

Just watched a trailer. I love anything with Gary Oldman in it really and he seems to be excellent in this. Wonder if I can download it somewhere.

He is very good, the star name in a great cast, well produced and written.  Criminal that it is available to such a small audience. That's the way tv seems to be going though

pxr5

We've just started The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power. Looks incredible, but not too sure of the story/script so far; poor reviews as well.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Matt2112

Boiling Point

Brilliantly orchestrated one-take, real-time film featuring a superb leading performance from Stephen Graham.

This must be one of the quickest-seeming 90-minute films I've ever sat through; it's so gripping and engrossing it feels like that time passes by twice as fast.

The supporting cast are all excellent, there isn't a single moment wasted and technically it is hugely impressive.

I think I noticed one possible tiny duff moment, but to reveal it is a potential minor spoiler, so I won't.

Apparently eight continuous 90-minute takes were scheduled, but they were curtailed by Covid restrictions; however, four takes were completed, of which takes three and four were considered "nailed".  After "Cut!" was called on third take, the cast celebrated "like they'd won the Champions League final", according to director Phillip Barantini.

And while the fourth take was considered to be the best technically, the third take was used due to the slightly better performances.

I effusively recommend this; it's one of the best U.K. films in years - currently available on Netflix.

Rating: ****