What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

Finished off the watcher..  fairly unsatisfying I have to say...
From The Land of Honest Men

Red Lenses

Watched a couple of films on the plane to and from Lanzarote...

Cop Land - don't know how I missed this one first time around 7.5/10

Lou (Netflix) - easy watch and straight forward story 7/10

Matt2112

TOTP 1987 on BBC Four

The usual mixture of songs that established themselves as classics, still-admired deeper cuts and utter bilge that was rightly forgotten as soon as it dropped out of the charts.

Wonderful.

R6GYY

The Devil's Hour

An Amazon Prime original I think.

We watched the 1st episode of this psychological thriller which we knew nothing about other than seeing the trailer with Peter Capaldi and Jessica Raine. This caught our attention  :)

IF they go somewhere with the different strands, and bring it all to a satisfactory conclusion on the way, then this has the makings of being a seriously top dollar series. We have some theories about what it going on - but that is one of the delights of something like this.

So far it has been very, very good and we are looking forward to seeing the mysteries unfold.

Nick

Guillermo del toro's cabinet of curiosities Netflix - 8 episodes of horror,a good hit to miss ratio

Red Lenses

Quote from: Nick on October 29, 2022, 07:33:25 PMGuillermo del toro's cabinet of curiosities Netflix - 8 episodes of horror,a good hit to miss ratio

Watched the 1st episode last night and really enjoyed it !!

R6GYY

Quote from: R6GYY on October 16, 2022, 03:10:26 PMQuantum Leap 2022

4 episodes watched now, and it is getting better as it develops. It definitely helps this new series having some of the action take place 'back home' as it were in current day Quantum Leap time as the team try to figure out what happened and Why did Ben leap?

Great stuff and we are lapping it up. We will go back and watch the original 5 seasons of Quantum Leap when we are done with this.

I think I read somewhere that season 1 of Quantum Leap 2022 has already been extended.
Ok. 6 episodes in, and episode 6 was a belter. To these eyes and ears, this really is upping its game as it goes along. I do wonder and worry though, whether the writers can keep the pace up.

Looking forward to tomorrow's Halloween episode. By that I mean it is shown tomorrow, Halloween, and is set on the night of Halloween. Somebody clearly planned ahead  :D

Oh yes - nice to see a familiar sci-fi genre face (in the guise of Jewel Staite - Firefly / Stargate Atlantis) turn up in episode 6 too.

Fishy

Polished off The Pact on beeb 1 now starting on The White Lotus season 2
From The Land of Honest Men

pxr5

Finished House of the Dragon last night (I mistakenly thought there was another to come). Ten episodes in all and not too bad without reaching the heights of GoT. Scenes with Paddy Considine and Matt Smith were the best parts and other than that it was quite flat. Not much action either and a lot of discussion. As I said before it was too dark - at times it was impossible to actually see anything. There were few outdoor scenes either and nowhere near as good as GoT (it seems it was done on the cheap to me) 7/10 with more to come I imagine. Beware numerous, graphic birthing scenes too.

We'll watch Wreck next on the BBC - looks good.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

pxr5

Wreck on the BBC (in Ultra HD on iPlayer). A comedy horror set aboard a massive cruise liner, follows a young man's search for his sister who went missing from the ship on a previous voyage. Funny and jumpy, a decent watch. 8/10 so far (2 eps in).

Red Lenses

Quote from: Nick on October 29, 2022, 07:33:25 PMGuillermo del toro's cabinet of curiosities Netflix - 8 episodes of horror,a good hit to miss ratio

Now watched the first 4 episodes, the one with the rats was poor and the others have been fine.

Bad Sisters (Apple TV), watched 8 of the 10 episodes and very good so far.

dom

Watching Bad Sisters at the moment .  Really enjoyable, set on the coast to the North of Dublin and starring Sharon Horgan, it's more a howdidtheydoit than a whodunnit.  Bono's daughter is a good actress!

pxr5

Finished Wreck now. Hmm, it was OK, but could have been reduced by an episode or 2. There is a conclusion, but it could carry on with future series too. I'm dropping my score to 7/10 as it started to drag a but and as a black comedy, it really wasn't funny enough.

Nickslikk2112

Matt2112

Scream (2022);  aka: Scream 5

The "meta" slasher franchise finds another angle in its "self-aware" horror sub-genre, the origin of which is usually acknowledged as Wes Craven's Scream from 1996.

Twenty-six years and three increasingly inferior sequels later, Scream (2022) arrives hiding the ball somewhat about whether it is a re-boot, sequel or a hybrid "requel", and indeed one of its better scenes has some "meta" fun discussing which.

Meanwhile, plot-wise there are the familiar whodunnit quadruple-bluffs, ironic call-backs, contemporary references and a bunch of graphic, played-straight slayings by the iconic Ghostface (surely the most light-footed bogeyman in horror film history).

It's all entertaining enough, but gets pretty silly at the end even in its "meta" context; for a franchise that fancies itself as a clever twist on the horror genre, it does work better with your brain switched to standby.

Rating: ***