What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

Quote from: Fishy on October 05, 2022, 08:00:45 AM
Quote from: Fishy on October 04, 2022, 10:59:48 AMYes I hope Inside Man concludes with a decent ending and not hanging on for a second series...
Did everyone make it to the post credit scene?
I did yes. Not that great overall. Started well, but was just a bit too daft at times.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Fishy

Quote from: pxr5 on October 05, 2022, 11:03:44 AM
Quote from: Fishy on October 04, 2022, 10:59:48 AMYes I hope Inside Man concludes with a decent ending and not hanging on for a second series...
I did yes. Not that great overall. Started well, but was just a bit too daft at times.
What was in the box that the delivery guy had.. reminded me of the end of the film Seven...
From The Land of Honest Men

pxr5

Quote from: Fishy on October 05, 2022, 01:03:04 PM
Quote from: pxr5 on October 05, 2022, 11:03:44 AM
What was in the box that the delivery guy had.. reminded me of the end of the film Seven...
Now that would have a good twist.

Fishy

Finished off the Dahmer Netflix series..

Matt2112

The Batman

Yet another iteration, and I initially wasn't that minded to bother, especially given a near three-hour running time (which is really more like 2 hours 45 minutes, films nowadays requiring a 10-minute credits roll at the end).

However, I was persuaded by the presence of Robert Pattinson in the title role, having now established himself as a genuinely talented and credible movie star, and some favourable word-of-mouth amongst friends.

And there really is a lot to like about this; it has a grungier feel than other versions (and even a bit of Nirvana as a reminder) and all the performances are very solid.

The fantastically realised world of Gotham City quickly drew me into the story and for a good while it all took me along completely.

However, the more that was thrown on the plot, the more coherence it shedded, and so the considerable initial impact of the film diminished somewhat.

Overall, though, it's a commendable entry into the DC Batman Universe and worth a try - if time permits.

Rating: ***

R6GYY

Knives Out

We've been waiting for a while to watch this, as something else has always seemed to get in the way.

What can I say - we were both delighted with this triumph of a film. I really don't want to spoil anything, but part of the charm here is simply watching the ensemble crew chewing up the scenery. In particular I was enamoured of Toni Colette's performance, although Ana de Armas as Marta the nurse is an excellent turn and a great choice for the role.

Such a joy to watch this, and you will be guessing and changing your ideas as you go along. Great stuff.

NOT your average who-dunnit this. One of the differences is that people are questioned and give their answers, you actually see what they were remembering in a flashback scene, which sometimes differs wildly from the truth.

However, even as these truths unfold, you still probably won't crack the case before the end.

You know what, I'm going to give this 4.5 stars out of 5. I can't really see what I've deducted the half a star for though. Initially maybe for Daniel Craig's awful southern drawl, but clearly this was a deliberate choice, and adds to the film overall.

Highly recommended viewing.

Very much looking forward to the sequel: Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery

R6GYY

p.s. in the main I agree with Matt's comments about The Batman.

It was a terrific start, and I too was drawn in by Robert Pattinson (after seeing him in action in Tenet).

The big problem for me if I remember correctly was that it was overlong, and indeed overblown, and the last 'act' of the film seemed kind of tagged on.

With better editing choices, and losing 30 minutes or so, this could have been a much tighter, and more tense outing.

In the end, I think I ended up thinking "what was the point?". Hey ho.

pxr5

Quote from: Fishy on October 06, 2022, 04:28:32 PMFinished off the Dahmer Netflix series..
Just started. Evan Peters is very, very good in this. Quite unpleasant viewing though, but still gripping.

Matt2112

Just to add to Reg's review above, Knives Out is very good yarn and certainly gets my recommendation.

May give it a re-watch before the sequel.

Fishy

Quote from: Matt2112 on October 10, 2022, 11:44:52 AMJust to add to Reg's review above, Knives Out is very good yarn and certainly gets my recommendation.

I found Daniel Craig's accent extremely annoying I have to say...

R6GYY

Quote from: Fishy on October 10, 2022, 01:16:13 PM
Quote from: Matt2112 on October 10, 2022, 11:44:52 AMJust to add to Reg's review above, Knives Out is very good yarn and certainly gets my recommendation.

I found Daniel Craig's accent extremely annoying I have to say...
So did we to start with, but over time it just became part of the ruch tapestry that the director was weaving. A bit like Brannagh's Poirot accent in Murder On The Orient Express but with added humour. Side note: Brannagh's accent I think improved with Death On The Nile.

pxr5

I liked Knives Out and wasn't bothered by Craig's accent. Unfortunately, though it was acted very well and a nice take on the whodunnit theme, I found the story rather weak and the ending a bit flat - which in these things is the main focus. Agatha Christie it wasn't.

Red Lenses

Michael Palin in North Korea (My5), next up is his visit to Iraq.

Fishy

pxr5

Quote from: Red Lenses on October 12, 2022, 05:35:37 AMMichael Palin in North Korea (My5), next up is his visit to Iraq.
I'm watching the Iraq one, very interesting indeed - the contrast between cities is astonishing. Michael Palin seems to be losing it a bit though. You'll see him say something, I think first episode, that really isn't like him.