What's in/on Your DVD/VCR/PVR etc

Started by pxr5, February 23, 2022, 08:06:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

Tonight's entertainment shall be another classic from the vaults, The Towering Inferno, from the Master of Disaster himself, Irwin Allen.

R6GYY

Ah. The Towering Inferno didn't happen due to a later start than we expected. So we watched the 1st Mission: Impossible film on All4 instead.

If anyone is interested in these, All4 currently have all 6 on offer to watch for free. With ads of course.

Matt2112

Quote from: R6GYY on August 07, 2022, 02:50:20 PMSo we watched the 1st Mission: Impossible film on All4 instead.

If anyone is interested in these, All4 currently have all 6 on offer to watch for free. With ads of course.

Funny you should say that, Reg.  I've been planning to work through the M:I films in sequence - I think I've seen only the first three and those were obviously a fair while ago now; got to say the prospect of ads puts me right off though, so it might be a case of just sticking them on my Cinema Paradiso list.

Nick

5 episodes in to Sandman and really enjoying it. David Thewlis is top notch.

pxr5

Finished La Brea. It didn't improve at all and astonishingly there is to be a second series starting next month. Me, i wouldn't bother but my wife quite likes it. 3/10
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

R6GYY

Just finished the 8 part TV adaptation of The Right Stuff on Disney+

Very enjoyable. Jake McDorman (who plays Alan Shepard) looks so different to how he did on Limitless only a few years back. I didn't recognize him but I did notice his name in the credits so looked him up and yes, it is the same guy.

pxr5

2 Episodes in to The Sandman. I'm enjoying it but a little worried as the the last Neil Gaiman TV Show (American Gods) went downhill fast and got binned after the 3rd series.

Red Lenses

The Orville Season 3 (Disney+) - superb stuff 9/10.

Prey (Disney+) - an excellent addition to the Predator series 8.5/10, still haven't seen The Predator from a few years back...seem to remember it getting bad reviews so didn't go looking for it at the time.

Started on Upload Season 2 (Amazon).

Red Lenses

Quote from: R6GYY on August 06, 2022, 07:19:47 PMTonight's entertainment shall be another classic from the vaults, The Towering Inferno, from the Master of Disaster himself, Irwin Allen.

One of the first films our household ever recorded on our Ferguson Videostar recorder back in the 80s, it was one film that never got taped over for some reason....watched it loads of times.

R6GYY

Quote from: Red Lenses on August 12, 2022, 02:54:04 AMThe Orville Season 3 (Disney+) - superb stuff 9/10.

Prey (Disney+) - an excellent addition to the Predator series 8.5/10, still haven't seen The Predator from a few years back...seem to remember it getting bad reviews so didn't go looking for it at the time.

Started on Upload Season 2 (Amazon).

I concur re: The Orville Season 3 (or New Horizons). I haven't finished it yet, but this is terrific stuff. I watched episode 6 last night (Twice In A Lifetime), and it was excellent. 4 to go, but I don't want to rush these.

As regards the recent The Predator film, I quite enjoyed it. As I did Predators.

I haven't seen Prey yet, but it is high up my list.

pxr5

Finished The Sandman tonight. Really good and it kept my interest throughout. It sort of had 2 separate stories though and the the first 6 episodes (story 1) were much better than the last 4 (story 2). Anyway there must be loads to come with the available source material from Neil Gaiman. Stand out moments from this series were the scenes with David Thewlis, who is phenomenal (as in Fargo too) and Gwendoline Christie as well. I just hope this doesn't go the way of American Gods which sadly went to pot after the first series. 9.5/10 for the first 6 eps, 8/10 for the rest.  P.S. Top marks for anyone spotting Lenny Henry in this.

Red Lenses

The Grey Man (Netflix), superb nonsense and thoroughly enjoyed it 8/10.
Spiderhead (Netflix), not bad and enjoyed the theme of the movie 7/10.

The Boys Season 3 (Amazon), superb stuff and Hold Your Fire t-shirt in the last episode 9/10.

Halfway through Season 2 of Upload, still getting some laughs and have watched the first 3 episodes of The Man Who Fell To Earth (HBO)....starting to get a bit Starman (John Carpenter) vibe in episodes 2 & 3 !!

Matt2112

Nightmare Alley

After this and The Shape Of Water, I'm increasingly of the opinion that Guillermo Del Toro is currently one of the most over-rated directors in the business.

You can't fault the magnificent production design in his films, however he takes a very long time to tell a very underwhelming and overly portentous story.

A shame, because there is a wealth of acting talent in Nightmare Alley (Bradley Cooper, Willem Dafoe and a magnetic Cate Blanchett) and they have some riveting scenes together.  But they are not terribly well-served by an uneven script that failed to truly draw me in.

Rating: **

Nick

Got halfway through it and agree with your comments

R6GYY

I took advantage of a free £5 Amazon Prime credit to rent The Duke last night.

Engaging in parts - particularly the courtroom scenes, but ultimately we felt a little let down with what we were promised by the trailer.

Also surprised to note in the credits that although the film is set in Newcastle (or thereabouts), it was actually filmed in Bradford and Leeds.

Ho hum.