The Batman (2022)

Started by R6GYY, March 07, 2022, 05:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

Hmmm..... not a lot to say really. Apart from really enjoying Robert Pattinson in the titular role, I don't really see why we needed yet another (sort of) reboot, but I went along for the ride.

I say sort of, because this isn't a Batman origin story - he has been fighting crime in Gotham for about 2 years at the start of this.

I found the 174 minute run-time way too long, and although the story is interesting (no spoilers here) it didn't grip me in the same way that say Dune or No Time To Die did.

I think trimming down to 150 minutes would have given a more manageable (for the audience) and more punchy
experience. I actually think the run-time might put some people off actually.

Robert Pattinson was very, very good though, and I noticed with interest a small but not insignificant role for Rupert Penry-Jones (as the Mayor of Gotham).

R6GYY

I seem to be bucking the trend here, as reviews seem to be generally very good.

It isn't that it is a bad film - but as I said to a fellow punter afterwards in the cinema "Good film, but way too long", and he agreed.

Slim

I haven't seen much of Rupert PJ since Spooks. Just looked it up and incredibly it was 2008 when he was written out of that. Over 13 years ago.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Rufus_the_dawg

The two 80s/90s Tim Burton films are the perfect Batman movies, I liked the the Christopher Nolan reboot but somehow the Tim Burton ones hit the spot. I do like a Batman movie.

Slim

I liked the Val Kilmer one, didn't really see Michael Keaton as Batman. But the Clooney one was poor. For me the Bale ones are Peak Batman but I haven't seen the new one. I don't really want to actually, I think it's been done to death now.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

I do recommend anyone interested in 'modern' Batman to watch the TV series Gotham, (currently on Netflix I think) which explores Gotham before Bruce Wayne became the Batman.

Whilst it is primarily the story of Bruce Wayne and Jim Gordon, it is also the story of The Penguin, and The Riddler, and many others. All intertwined. Some baddies that I had not come across before too - like The Mad Hatter.

Be warned that it is pretty gritty and gruesome in parts.

Having said that, I really need to re-visit Gotham, as I didn't get to finish season 4, and there are 5 in all. So I don't know where it finished.

Fishy

Quote from: Slim on March 07, 2022, 09:59:04 PMI haven't seen much of Rupert PJ since Spooks. Just looked it up and incredibly it was 2008 when he was written out of that. Over 13 years ago.
He turned up on the itv ..Our House 4 part thriller on just now...
From The Land of Honest Men

Fishy

Quote from: Fishy on March 09, 2022, 05:38:28 PM
Quote from: Slim on March 07, 2022, 09:59:04 PMI haven't seen much of Rupert PJ since Spooks. Just looked it up and incredibly it was 2008 when he was written out of that. Over 13 years ago.
He turned up on the itv ..Our House 4 part thriller on just now...

Don't bother with Our House btw 4 hours wasted ..it's shit..
From The Land of Honest Men

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: R6GYY on March 08, 2022, 10:29:18 AMI do recommend anyone interested in 'modern' Batman to watch the TV series Gotham, (currently on Netflix I think) which explores Gotham before Bruce Wayne became the Batman.

Whilst it is primarily the story of Bruce Wayne and Jim Gordon, it is also the story of The Penguin, and The Riddler, and many others. All intertwined. Some baddies that I had not come across before too - like The Mad Hatter.

Be warned that it is pretty gritty and gruesome in parts.

Having said that, I really need to re-visit Gotham, as I didn't get to finish season 4, and there are 5 in all. So I don't know where it finished.

Yes I started watching Gotham on Ch4 years ago then forgot about it I might catch up with it on Netflix.