Main Menu

The Brits 2023

Started by pxr5, February 11, 2023, 09:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

I haven't watched The Brits in ages, but tonight's effort so far is jaw-droppingly bad. I had a glimmer of interest when Wet Leg did their Chaise Longue tune, but apart from that effort everything else is insipidly dull. I know I'm a grumpy old git, and my old man said the same about pop music in my childhood, but all these modern songs just seem so weak. Harry Styles, what the hell is he about? There is a lot of good, new music around (e.g. black midi, BCNR, Squid etc.), so why is none of this on here. And where is best Prog album/artist of the year award lol?
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

The Picnic Wasp

Bring back Sam & Mick! I don't think it's just an age thing. I remember my grandad being impressed by Queen the first time he saw them on TOTP. He wasn't so impressed with David Essex. Just watched Wet Leg picking up their award. I'm no longer aghast at the lyrical content of that song. They don't seem to know any other words.

Is texting beginning to have the evolutionary effect of striking the youth mute? I Googled best albums of 1975/6 to reassure myself it's definitely not an age thing. The quality available to purchase in those two years alone was insane. There's nothing like that in mainstream music any longer and sadly it looks like this drought might continue for decades if there isn't a seismic change in the music industry.

People are different now. Spoilt, entitled, lazy and seemingly much less creative as they happily consume the only creativity on their shopping list, communication and entertainment devices. It's all very sad. Long live Prog.

Matt2112

It's not been commonly referred to as The Shit Awards for the past 25 years for nothing.

The level of technical musical talent being accordingly rewarded by the mainstream does seem to decrease every year.  Maybe it goes in cycles and we're either at or near the nadir?  Or, as seems more likely, it will just keep on slowly sinking.

Slim

I think I've watched the Brits twice in total. The first one, when I can remember Bob Geldof receiving an award and making a snarky remark about Paul McCartney, who was in the audience and heckled him back. And the legendary one that was presented by Sam Fox and Mick Fleetwood in 1989.

I note that Harry Styles has cleaned up this time and while I wouldn't buy one of his CDs, he's undoubtedly a charismatic performer with a good voice. He's definitely been given some decent tunes, as well.

Crappy popular music is nothing new really, many people roughly my age will remember the crap that was served up on TOTP along with the odd gem in the '70s. But at least we didn't celebrate it at award ceremonies.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Matt2112 on February 11, 2023, 10:49:53 PMIt's not been commonly referred to as The Shit Awards for the past 25 years for nothing.

The level of technical musical talent being accordingly rewarded by the mainstream does seem to decrease every year.  Maybe it goes in cycles and we're either at or near the nadir?  Or, as seems more likely, it will just keep on slowly sinking.
Surely with only so many notes and combinations thereof, it's inevitable?

Matt2112

Quote from: David L on February 12, 2023, 09:33:42 AM
Quote from: Matt2112 on February 11, 2023, 10:49:53 PMIt's not been commonly referred to as The Shit Awards for the past 25 years for nothing.

Surely with only so many notes and combinations thereof, it's inevitable?

I'm referring to the level of musicianship.  Look down the list of nominees and it is populated by nothing more than buskers and karaoke acts.  The only big, contemporary, relevant mainstream-ish band I can think of who are genuinely good musicians is Muse.

And what's with The 1975 being "Alternative / Rock" winners?  They're nothing close to either category and neither were their fellow nominees.

The state of it.

David L

Looking at the photos in the press today, it appears, mostly, to have been an opportunity for those present to shock and surprise with outlandish outfits  :-\

Plenty of this too:
"Don't 'objectify' me.Look at my t*ts!"

pxr5

I liked when Mo Gilligan called Lewis Capaldi "Sam Capaldi" lol. And that outfit Sam Smith wore was horrendous - an inflated gimp suit methinks - tosser.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64612217
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

captainkurtz

Thenop

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: pxr5 on February 12, 2023, 02:09:57 PMI liked when Mo Gilligan called Lewis Capaldi "Sam Capaldi" lol. And that outfit Sam Smith wore was horrendous - an inflated gimp suit methinks - tosser.

Shouldn't that be Tossers?

Matt2112

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on February 12, 2023, 08:03:03 PM
Quote from: pxr5 on February 12, 2023, 02:09:57 PMI liked when Mo Gilligan called Lewis Capaldi "Sam Capaldi" lol. And that outfit Sam Smith wore was horrendous - an inflated gimp suit methinks - tosser.

Shouldn't that be Tossers?

Depends.

Binary = more than one thing;

Non-binary = not more than one thing;

"They" - collective pronoun for, erm, more than one thing.

Remember to toe the line lest you're considered "hateful".

Slim

Just on a linguistic point - "they" doesn't necessarily refer to more than one thing or person, even when it's properly used. For example: "if you're taking a friend, make sure they pack a change of clothes"
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Of course - that's unambiguous. There are no trip-wires there.

"They" in the context of preferred pronouns can refer to any number of self-identifications - indeed, "they" itself has several sub-sects. Plenty of trip-wires there, with "mistakes" made even in good faith provoking scorn.