Gender-Neutral "God"

Started by Slim, February 08, 2023, 03:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

So: the Church of England is considering using gender-neutral pronouns for "God".

I think this makes sense, quite honestly. Why would the fictional Higher Consciousness responsible for the Universe and Everything have a gender? Why would it have a penis? Does it have enormous testicles, filled with divine sperm?

I already use gender-neutral terms for "God" and always have done. I call it "it".
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Could drown us all in an almighty ocean of holy jizz with a flick of his wrist...I reckon

dom

Just a story to outrage Daily Mail readers. They need their daily hate

Slim

Quote from: dom on February 08, 2023, 07:36:10 PMJust a story to outrage Daily Mail readers. They need their daily hate

Is it? Thoughtful of the C of E to cater to them then, I suppose
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Quote from: Slim on February 09, 2023, 09:56:29 AM
Quote from: dom on February 08, 2023, 07:36:10 PMJust a story to outrage Daily Mail readers. They need their daily hate

Is it? Thoughtful of the C of E to cater to them then, I suppose

Manna from Heaven!

Matt2112

First the CofE "Synod" discussing such profundities as how many same-sex unions can dance on the head of a pin, now this.

These are purportedly grown adults having these discussions.  Absolutely seriously, with straight faces and deadpan-delivered tones.

The real issue is how it's clear to more folk than ever that there's absolutely no place in a modern democracy for bishops in the HoL just because they're, um bishops, and indeed no place for any merchants of pious voodoo to have any kind of established status or privilege whatsoever.

Other than that, they are free to indulge in any old supernatural claptrap amongst themselves as they wish.

The Picnic Wasp

Just posting as I noticed this is the second least visited thread on BTW. Unsurprisingly the TFE album review comes last. I still believe in God though.

Slim

Test For Echo is far from being the worst Rush album. But perhaps that's why it's less interesting than some others.

Still haven't seen a shred of evidence that "God" is real.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on June 27, 2023, 03:12:47 PMTest For Echo is far from being the worst Rush album. But perhaps that's why it's less interesting than some others.

This use of inverted commas always confuses me in the way that folk misinterpret the translation of gospel and highlight it in the same fashion. They should listen to Dog Years more often. It's very spiritually uplifting.

Matt2112

The use of ""God"" strikes me as a generic term, referring to the common concept of an omnipotent supernatural creator; the Christian versions (sic) don't have a monopoly on it, nor even a majority interest, especially considering the scores of mutually contradictory (and therefore mutually blasphemous) sects.  See also: well, pretty much every other religion, and all the sects within those, also where a zillion bald people fight over a comb.

The Picnic Wasp

Loving the double inverted commas use, Matt. It that a thing? Probably just something else that has escaped me in my post (very expensive) Catholic school education. I might be right, I might be wrong. Why would anyone be interested in my random thinking as I stumble through this hazy after Glastonbury alcohol recovery process? It takes longer every year. Sincere question, I don't get the (sic) reference on this occasion. Probably due to the stupor I have inflicted upon myself after Elton's set, wondering what level of response Rush would have received around about the R30 days when they were magnificent. I will never forget a moment of that stupefyingly hot day in London, walking around alone, soaking up everything prior to that Wembley concert.

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on June 27, 2023, 03:26:10 PM
Quote from: Slim on June 27, 2023, 03:12:47 PMTest For Echo is far from being the worst Rush album. But perhaps that's why it's less interesting than some others.

This use of inverted commas always confuses me in the way that folk misinterpret the translation of gospel and highlight it in the same fashion. They should listen to Dog Years more often. It's very spiritually uplifting.

My concern is that referring to "God" matter-of-factly without the quotes looks like a sort of acceptance that it's real.

But there's a bit of dialogue from The Young Ones that puts it quite succinctly:

CHRISTIAN: I come from the Ark angel Gabriel, yes, he with the wings of driven snow and eyes of flame, I bring good news for mankind...

RICK: I think you've got the wrong house - you see, I don't believe in God.

CHRISTIAN: How do you know his name then, smart arse? [Grabs Rick's groin and squeezes hard. He doubles over in pain]
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Slim on June 27, 2023, 06:52:55 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on June 27, 2023, 03:26:10 PM

My concern is that referring to "God" matter-of-factly without the quotes looks like a sort of acceptance that it's real.

But there's a bit of dialogue from The Young Ones that puts it quite succinctly:

CHRISTIAN: I come from the Ark angel Gabriel, yes, he with the wings of driven snow and eyes of flame, I bring good news for mankind...

RICK: I think you've got the wrong house - you see, I don't believe in God.

CHRISTIAN: How do you know his name then, smart arse? [Grabs Rick's groin and squeezes hard. He doubles over in pain]

Oh well, fair's fair. I suppose if people can memorise and quote scripture then The Young Ones scripts also have their place. I'm not sure how well they will stand up to scholastic tests in a couple of thousand years though. Maybe English will be an ancient text by then. It has changed a great deal in my lifetime.