Audio books

Started by dom, January 31, 2023, 05:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dom

The wife often listens to audiobooks on her travels but it never really grabbed me.  I tried this narration of Brave New World and it's brilliant.  I think they rise or fall on the quality of the narration and this is absolutely excellent.  I can't find a credit but it sounds like Michael York...

R6GYY

I've listened to quite a few now, but the best experience I have had was with Excession by Iain M. Banks, and read by Peter Kenny.

The book itself, which I was unfamiliar with prior to my first listen, is quite astonishing in itself (a standalone novel in Banks' Culture series), but Peter Kenny's delivery is completely brilliant, adding so much to the story. This is one I actually purchased on CD in a sale a few years ago.

A long read or listen, but I have since read the actual book, and listened through twice more I think.

pxr5

Brave New World is a great book. The TV series was spot on too https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9814116/
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

I've listened to a lot of audiobooks now; they're ideal for long bike rides. My MP3 player is very small and light, and the batteries will keep it going for many hours. Mostly Reacher novels but a couple of 007 adventures as well.

I don't have the attention span to read a book at home, too many other distractions.

Nice to see that there are some free ones on YouTube. Easy to rip them to MP3s.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Really enjoyed Brave New World - trying this out now.  I've read it a few times but all a long time ago now...

dom

Moved onto John Wyndham's classic. The Day of The Triffids. Probably spawned hundreds of dystopian "end of civilization" stories

R6GYY

Just purchased 3 audio books on Audible:

2 from Iain M. Banks:
Excession
Transition

And one from Jasper Fforde:
The Big Over Easy

Yes, I already had the brilliant Excession on audio CD but wanted it on Audible so that I can listen to it in the car and at home, and seamlessly pick up where I left off.

Slim

Started the next (11th) Reacher novel, Bad Luck and Trouble.

Seems quite good but it doesn't have the classic 'loner' vibe because he teams up with some of his ex-army pals.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan