Main Menu

Jeff Beck Has Died

Started by Slim, January 11, 2023, 10:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdw1

Quote from: Thenop on January 12, 2023, 05:19:11 PMSad news indeed. Was not on my radar to be honest until Roger Waters' Amused to Death on which he played some interesting parts.

Must look i to at least his eay solo work, Beck-Ola for instance.
The later stuff is worth checking out too. Try Loud Hailer, its great.

Fishy

How much of his own stuff did he actually write?
From The Land of Honest Men

pdw1

Quote from: Fishy on January 12, 2023, 06:41:18 PMHow much of his own stuff did he actually write?
I think it would be fair to describe him as a radical interrupter of other peoples songs

pdw1

Quote from: pdw1 on January 12, 2023, 06:59:27 PM
Quote from: Fishy on January 12, 2023, 06:41:18 PMHow much of his own stuff did he actually write?
I think it would be fair to describe him as a radical interrupter of other peoples songs
oh well you know what I mean and spell checker wont let me say  ;D

Slim

He did write some of the Jeff Beck Group material. Contributed to some of the tunes on the later jazz-based stuff, but more the jam-based or funky groove tunes.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Quote from: Slim on January 11, 2023, 10:31:51 PMOne of the pantheon of British guitar greats from the '60s, with Clapton, Page and Peter Green. And Ronnie Wood IMO but that's another discussion possibly.

Thinking about it, these brilliant players who blazed a trail for guitar music in the '60s and '70s all came from a pretty tight musical family tree .. Clapton, Beck and Page were all in The Yardbirds. Clapton left The Yardbirds to join the Blues Breakers, eventually replaced by Peter Green. And Ronnie Wood was the bass player in the Jeff Beck Group.

All from the SE of England as well.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pdw1

Have a look at this:
September 2022 Texas
https://youtu.be/A36T_RTPJYc
78 and still playing incredible stuff. Still on top of his (or anyone else's) game

Slim

Famous guitar players eulogise about Jeff Beck - in a video posted to YouTube a few months before he died, which makes it a bit more sincere.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

A great video on why Jeff's playing was so unique

And another cool one courtesy of Rick Beato

David L

Quote from: Slim on January 20, 2023, 08:50:53 PMFamous guitar players eulogise about Jeff Beck - in a video posted to YouTube a few months before he died, which makes it a bit more sincere.

Great!
With Luke, I struggle to get past the size of his swede  :o