Cycling 2023

Started by Slim, January 02, 2023, 09:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

Me and the wife got out on the road bikes this morning for the first time in ages. Dry roads, little to no wind and some nice sunshine. Bloody cold though! Two pairs of gloves and a sealskin beeny under my helmet. God knows where my mind was (see Alcohol thread) but I completely forgot about overshoes!

Stopped for a hot chocolate and carrot cake at Eynsham. Had to consume it on a bench in the square as the cafe was only serving takeaways due to a staff shortage (bloody Brexit)

Managed a respectable 30.5 miles. Took a while to warm up but both enjoyed a guilt-free roast dinner. Nice ride.

Nickslikk2112

Egad! Managed to make it outdoors again! And once again, it's just like starting over. Still, it was a nice day for it, still a bit of frozen water at the roadside on country lanes even at midday but nothing that wasn't obvious.

Things will probably come to a juddering halt again now, as Mrs S has lots of clearing jobs lined up for me at my dad's. May be able to sneak out every now and again though.

All in all a nice little 25 mile spin and I'm not actually that far behind where I was this time last year, but then it was this time of the year that dad died.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8520525707

Slim

Another dry and sunny day so off out on the bike after work I went, once again. A very simple plan with a slight innovation - I wanted to do about 20 miles of the southbound route and come back, but approach Stoney Stanton via a different way. Last night while poring over a route planner I'd spotted a different route that would take a bypass round Earl Shilton then enter Stoney from the west.

Obviously the bypass is intended for heavy traffic and not really very rural, but it made a change from the uphill slog into and through Shilton. Nicely surfaced as well. And fortunately despite the time of day, the traffic was fairly light.

I stopped after about 20.5 miles, ate a Cornish pasty while propped against a farm gate, then came back the traditional way.

Listened to another few hours of the Reacher novel - it really is very good, I can see why they used it as the basis for the film. It's quite different from the film in some important respects though, and of course a lot more involved and detailed. Reacher doesn't even get mentioned in the first hour of the book. And there's a surprising twist after the first few chapters that the film doesn't have.

My rear light froze again - stopped flashing and wouldn't respond to the on/off button. At least it was stuck in "on" mode. I suppose I should chuck it.

Back on 40.32 miles, and that's 144 done this month - not bad for the first week of a February. Some questionable weather on the horizon, though. But the coming weekend looks good.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8523102864

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Decent weather again - sunny and dry, though cold and a bit windy. The wind was coming from the west. I thought I'd go up to Isley Walton then over Swarkestone Bridge to do the Beloved A Road for a bit, but as I rolled up Top Brand, I had the idea to go up through Castle Donington and along to Shardlow. I decided to go all the way into Derby and round my old neighbourhood. Went up through Chaddesden, back down Acorn Way.

Just indulging my own sentimentality, really. Nice to be pedalling along Nottingham Road in the the rush hour. I miss Derby sometimes.

I was going to come back via Swosser Bridge and I took a turn to Aston with that in mind, but I changed my mind and looped back onto the main road to Shardlow. Back to Donington from there, and back home the usual way.

As I paused at the lights near the airport, I heard someone call "hey" to my left. A coach driver was trying to get my attention. "More lights!" he said, leaning out of his side window with a facial expression somewhere between concern and disapproval. I could see he was trying to be helpful so I gave him an appreciative thumbs up just before I pulled away at the green light, but I examined my rear light carefully and it was flashing away pretty flippin' brightly. Odd one.

Noticed a DHL plane on the tarmac with doors open and wingtip lights on, presumably ready to take off. What a life that must be, climbing into an aircraft on a quiet, dark runway a few miles from Derby then away into the night sky, off to another country.

I charged up my old smartwatch for the first time in a couple of years. Apparently Strava doesn't support versions of Wear OS older than 3.0, and this has 2.something. But I installed the ridewithgps app onto it so I could use it to track the ride. It did basically work but there's precious little info on the watch face - just pause, stop and resume buttons. I used it in "phone" mode, assuming it would use the phone's GPS but also assuming there'd be some sort of useful interface on the watch. I'll try "watch" mode next time. But it's not as useful for that as a Garmin anyway. Just playing really.

I also didn't set it up properly with Strava, so it didn't upload the route there. For now this is all I've got, from the ridewithgps app.

But another 46.1 miles done, that's the main thing.

EDIT: managed to export the track as a GPX from the ridewithgps site, so I uploaded it to Strava manually.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8534887155
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Managed to get again today :) Mrs S had gone into work and she hadn't given me a list of things to do in her absence so to the bike it was !

Been doing too much of the same really a lately so I rode out to the tops via Dronfield. It's uphill most of the way, but mainly shallow uphill so Strava doesn't categorise any of it as a proper climb. It's the only way to the Moors you can take without a classified hill. Still takes it out of me though. The wind didn't help though, seemingly from all westerly directions, not just the supposed South West.

Still good to get another 30 miles in and actually get over 200 miles for the year! Can't see another ride out before Tuesday though, Mrs S has three days of toil planned for me :(

https://www.strava.com/activities/8537129575

Slim

A mild, dry day with a light wind from the south was promised for today; ideal conditions to ride down to Northamptonshire and tick another neighbouring country box, I thought. Well not quite ideal. A bit of sunshine would have been nice.

Just for a change I thought I'd go down the old route, through Enderby, Blaby, Foston and Husbands Bosworth. It involves more climbing and busier roads, especially where it passes through the outskirts of Leicester. But the worst thing about it today was that I had to pass a "road closed" sign by mounting the pavement on Welford Road, and the first mile of road after that was covered in bits of mud and grit. No harm done, though.

After I got to Welford and the Northamptonshire border I decided to keep going for a bit. But I turned round after a couple of miles. I came back via the usual (newer) route.

I didn't get to the village shop at Gilmorton before it closed at 1pm, but there are plenty of shops and garages on this route, thankfully. I bought a bacon & stilton turnover and a Fry's Chocolate Cream at the little supermarket at Husbands Bosworth.

I stopped at a farm gate 15 miles from home on the way back, and two horses came trotting over. Perhaps they're used to being offered treats by passing strangers. I snapped off a chunk of oat bar and left it on top of the fence for the more persistent one, but he or she ignored it. So I threw it on the grass and it was hoovered up in about half a second.

I listened to another few hours of the Reacher novel. Possibly the best one so far.

Back on 70.64 miles, a very satisfying run out. Just Lincolnshire and Rutland remain of the seven neighboring counties and I can do those two in the same ride. Just needs a dry Saturday or Sunday with the wind coming from the east.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8550048534
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

Managed a 31 miler today.. dull cool.. little wind.. always wanted to try to get go Straiton.. nice to get on new roads.. anyway managed Straiton about 15 miles from Ayr then back thru Crosshill.. Maybole and up n over the Carrick Hills and dropping onto the seafront and home.. was in two minds whether to go out today but glad I did..
From The Land of Honest Men

Nickslikk2112

After three days of clearing my parent's house (How can people accumulate so much stuff?) I took the day off today - could do with three more days of clearing really - and had a ride. Sun was out, but still none too warm, the base layer was needed.

Rode last Friday's route again for a 30 miler. Did it marginally faster, probably due to a lighter headwind. The legs ran out of steam for the last couple of miles too.

Had a bloke in a white van shout "Get off the road!" at me on the tops, his young kids were hanging out of the window shouting abuse too, what sort of example is that setting them? I as a cyclist have every right to be on the road, I'd love to know if he could have answered yes to the following questions:

1. Do you have a valid driving licence?
2. Do you have insurance to cover driving this vehicle?
3. Seeing as your van is 7 years old, does it have a valid MOT?

Answering "No" to any of those questions means that YOU shouldn't be on the road. Tosser.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8559515264/

Slim

A persistent thin fog clung to NW Leicestershire until the early afternoon but by 15:25 when I was able to leave work, it had given way to bright sunshine. A moderate wind was coming from the south and I'd decided to do a Twycross Bypasser.

I wanted to do 40 miles, which would get the February mile count up to 300. But the temperature dipped a bit sharply after sunset and I came home a quicker way through Sibson, rather than right down to Fenn Lanes as I'd intended.

Despite the sunshine the landscape was shrouded in a filmy mist. Looked spectacular in the open. I listened to the Reacher novel the whole way round. Nearing the climax now.

I trialled a new torch that takes a single AA as my front light. Works well. Very compact. Very handy.

Back on 34.53 miles. 295 done this month, maybe I can get that up to 400.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8561622400
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Didn't plan to go out on a bike today since the weather was a bit damp in the morning, but the sun came out in the afternoon so, since the weather looks grotty for the next couple of days, I thought I'd do 30 or so. Might have done a few more, but I wasn't able to leave work as early as I'd have liked.

Very mild out there, though a bit windy. I did a Twycrosser, with the detour to Orton.

Passed the little heliport (just a flat spot in the grass really) in the field along Gallows Lane just in time to see a helicopter take off from there. It took to the air in the rough direction of Birmingham.

Tried a different head torch, one that takes AAA batteries (and would therefore be useful potentially on a longer ride). I think I've tried it before. It was adequate, but only just.

Listened to the news on 5 Live, then Barcelona vs United.

Back on 31.68 miles, now over target this month at 327 miles. Looks like it'll be a 400+ mile February which is not unprecedented, but not that common either.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8572826856
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Got up (relatively) early to do a fondo, and I'd set off by 08:45. With a moderate wind coming form the west, I'd decided to do the Lower Westbound route. Wasn't sure whether to go up to Abbots Bromley or keep on west through Rugeley, so I deferred that decision until I got to the appropriate road junction, 24 miles in. I opted to go up to Abbots Bromley.

Really lovely out there - sunny and mild. Despite only having had a couple of slices of toast before setting off, I seemed to have loads of energy - perhaps I was using carbs provided by last night's pasta and beer. I'd gone 29 miles before I ate any of the food I'd brought with me.

The first 30 miles seemed to fly by so I kept going past Bagot's Wood; further than I've been before along that route. Eventually I came to Uttoxeter, where I turned back at a round about. Interestingly I was only about a mile, at this point, from the western end of the Upper Westbound Route. But there's no sensible way to get to it from Uttoxeter, unless you count cycling along the A50 as sensible.

As soon as I turned back I hit a headwind, which was annoying. The wind direction must have changed so that it was coming from the SE. I was coming south at this point. Irksome, but I turned east again after Hill Ridware so I didn't have to put up with it for long.

Bought some Quavers and a Fry's Chocolate Cream at the Co-op at King's Bromley and had a very nice picnic in the sunshine on the grass verge near Alrewas on the way back. I took the pic at Abbots Bromley.

I listened to 6 Music, United vs Leicester, the first Rolling Stones album (I've set myself a task of listening to all of them in order this year) and the final Clash album, Cut the Crap.

Getting a bit too warm and spring-like in the afternoon and I had to stow away my woolly hat an cycling overtrousers in my backpack with about 10 to go.

Saw a rather large buzzard perched atop a dead badger near Measham. It looked quite proud of itself but I think a road vehicle had probably done the heavy lifting there.

Glorious ride out. Back on 71.49 miles. 398 this month.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8588466659
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Got 33 miles in on the road bikes today. Not so bright when we set off just before 11:00am but not too cold (remembered my overshoes today!). After around 17 miles we stopped at The Fox, Great Barrington for some refreshment. A bowl of soup and two pints of Guinness, £27.50 😮. It was good soup though and the Guinness was good enough to persuade us into staying for a second!
By the time we set off again the sun was out and the ride back to Witney via Westwell, Shiton and Brize Norton was glorious. Our spirits were lifted to the extent that it seemed appropriate to call into our local, Drummers Bar for a final pint (Village Idiot - White Horse Brewery).
Got home with just enough time to wipe the bikes over before returning them to their wall brackets in the spare room.  A cracking day capped off perfectly with a beautiful home-cooked roast - splendid!

Nickslikk2112

After another week off the bike, time to make another new start. It was actually quite warm today, didn't have to put on a base layer or shoe covers. Makes a nice change.

Did the same route as my last couple of rides, gets a decent amount of climbing in, but you it's mainlt quite shallow so nothing too onerous.

Don't know if I've forgotten how to position myself on the saddle, but the top of my thighs on the inside don't half ache. Never had that happen before.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8598052734

Slim

I wanted to do about 30 after work. With the wind coming from the south a Twycrosser or Bypasser seemed in order, but within a minute of setting off I'd decided not to do that again, and I pedalled up Top Brand instead. By the time I'd reached the roundabout at the top, I'd hatched a plan to go west to Ticknall through Melbourne then home through Hatshorne, Woodville, Ashby. And I stuck to it.

I'd been looking forward to this one because it would take me past the 400 mile point for February, and also over 940 for the year, which would mean that I'd made up the difference between last year's target (4200) and this year's (4540). 340 miles over target for the first two months, in other words.

Back on 27 miles exactly, not as many as I wanted but more than enough for today's purposes. 425 done this month.

A bit cold out there, and that was a substantially climbier route than a Twycrosser of similar distance would have been. But it's nice not to do the same thing all the time.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8600233969
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Another dry, sunny day so inevitably, I decided to ride a bike after work. My right knee was a bit sore after the last ride and I didn't want to push my luck, so I decided that 25 miles would do. I taped it up before I set off, haven't done that for a year or two. I decided to go out through Coalville and up Ashby Road for a bit, which wouldn't involve any conspicuous climbing.

Took a left to Long Whatton from Ashby Road but rather than heading back I kept on from there to Zouch. Turned back homeward just over the Nottinghamshire border. Came back down Top Brand.

My knee didn't give me any trouble, happily. I think taping it up does help, I should do that more often, at least on long rides. I only wish I'd kept my legs properly shaved like a good cyclist, the tape was a bastard to get off.

Enjoyable run out and nice to get out after work and be back before sunset. Cold out there. Would have been worse if I'd stayed out another half hour.

Back on 25.06 miles, so that was a pretty good stab at a 25 miler. 450 done this month.

https://www.strava.com/activities/8610600389
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan