The Phil Silvers Show

Started by Slim, January 01, 2023, 10:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Last year I watched every episode of M*A*S*H starting on January 1st and this year I've given myself an easier task: I'm going to work through my box set of The Phil Silvers Show (better known to many as "'Sergeant Bilko"). There are 142 episodes. I will watch one per day.

First up then: Series 1, Episode 1: New Recruits.

I've seen this one a few times before but not for years. Good introductory episode. Bilko is placed in charge of a platoon of new recruits - much to his surprise. Establishes Bilko as a devious, sharp operator who knows all the tricks, but when it comes down to it - he's one of the good guys.

I laughed out loud several times. I can't imagine another 1950s sitcom that would make me do that. Actually off-hand I can't even think of another one.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

When I started secondary school, which was a really strict all male environment, my first year class master went by the nickname Bilko. I never questioned why and strangely we shared the same first name. That's Christian name in old money. He was our English teacher and introduced us to general analysis which I think is dead and buried now but which I dearly wish I had gained a greater grasp of. I think I must have been in my early twenties the first time I watched a Phil Silvers show and that penny which had been tumbling around my mind without me realising, finally dropped. He was basically my English master. Black robe swapped for a US army uniform. I was happy the box had been ticked but a bit annoyed that I hadn't been more inquisitive when I was twelve.

David L

Always preferred Top Cat myself, tbh  ;)

Slim

002: Empty Store

Bilko is short of money after a loss at poker, and his fellow card-playing sergeants are very reluctant to give him an opportunity to win it back.

He's still in charge of the new recruits in this one, to his irritation - a nice bit of continuity from the first episode. It turns out that the other sergeants have taken a large sum of money off one of them while Bilko was away from the game, so he hatches a scheme to get it back with interest.

Really quite a clever plot. But as always the best thing about this show is the personality that Silvers invests in Bilko. The timing, the facial expressions, the body language - brilliant.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

003: The WAC

Ernie sets up an elaborate scheme to gain an advantage over the other master sergeants, in his own self interest, naturally. It's fantastically improbable, but of course it pays to suspend disbelief.

But his plans are thwarted when a new master sergeant turns up in the form of Joan Hogan, who will of course become Bilko's love interest.

They payoff is brilliant.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

004: The Horse

Bilko buys a horse with his platoon's money, in the hope of winning a fortune at racing. This leaves him with the small problem of looking after a large animal in the camp, against regulations.

He's evidently in charge of the motor platoon again this week.

There's a lovely moment when Phil Silvers ad-libs with the horse.

Interesting that, in brief scenes, we see Colonel and Mrs Hall sleeping in separate beds. I wonder if, even for a married couple, a double bed scene was considered too risque for 1950s television.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

005: AWOL

One of Bilko's platoon has gone AWOL, which presents a problem because he's badly needed for carburretor work. Bilko is sent to bring him home. I very much enjoyed the stereotypical Eastern European excessive hospitality of the miscreant's Hungarian family.

Bit of an odd one. Don't remember seeing this one before.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

006: The Boxer

The motor platoon seems to be short of talent for a forthcoming boxing contest - until Bilko finds out that one of his men is an ex champ.

Brilliantly inventive comedy, this. Seriously. Very clever script. Hilarious farce, just bordering on the surreal, brought to life by some delightfully over-the-top performances by the cast.

I think this might be one of the great sitcom half hours of all time.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

007: The Hoodlum

Bilko puts his name in for Soldier of the Month, so he can win a three day pass to Tulsa. Needless to say his platoon have to put in the necessary hard work for him to get it.

Meanwhile, a remarkably anti-social "hoodlum" by the name of Parker is transferred to Bilko's care. Bilko's scheme to deal with the situation is even more remarkably elaborate.

Just brilliant.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

008: Mardi Gras

When a rather vain and self-regarding local debutante of some repute dismissively turns down an invitation to be the Motor Pool Mardi Gras Queen, Bilko comes up with a plan to teach her a lesson.

Clever.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

009: The Eating Contest

Company B gets hammered by Company A in an American football match. Surprisingly there's a huge crowd, considering Company B's team is comprised largely of men from the Fort Baxter motor pool and kitchen. But I think that's only because stock footage is used.

A strapping, tall young man is transferred to Bilko's platoon - Fred Gwynne, later better known as Herman Munster - and it turns out that he's the "eating champion of the US Army". So Bilko decides to pit him in a contest against Company A's "Hog" Henderson, the "best knife and fork man in the division", so he can win their money back.

Hilarious.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

010: The Centennial

A new "special service officer" (me neither) arrives at Fort Baxter and he's determined to foster the mens' interest in the arts, instead of gambling. Naturally, Bilko is determined to thwart his plans. He finds an unlikely ally.

Not one of the best so far, but not bad.

I think that this one wouldn't be shown on TV now, because part of Bilko's elaborate plot to overcome the new officer's intentions is to put on a stage show set in the times of the Indian Wars. As well as featuring white men dressed as (and behaving like) caricatures of native Americans, there's the occasional reference to "redskins" and so on. A reminder that this programme was recorded a long time ago; actually the mid-point in time between Geronimo surrendering to the US Army and today.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

011: Bivouac

It's the yearly Bivouac exercise, which involves a 20 mile hike with full equipment. Bilko naturally attempts to dodge it by feigning sickness, as he does every year.

Unfortunately for the malingering sergeant, Col Hall has brought in a particularly strict medical officer to examine him.

But Bilko has a new ploy, this time. The scene where Bilko cons the new officer is sheer genius. But the new officer cons him right back.

Bilko's pyjamas have master sergeant stripes on them. A lovely touch.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

012: The Singing Contest

It's very cold at Fort Baxter. Bilko enters the platoon in a singing contest in the hope of going to the finals at an army post in Florida, to escape the freezing weather. But things don't go smoothly.

The term "glee club" is used. I had no idea that was such a long-standing tradition. Actually I don't really know what they are.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

013: The Twitch

A new officer arrives on post, to help Col Hall put a stop to the enlisted men's incessant gambling, most of it organised by Bilko of course.

The Colonel refuses to allow Bilko to go on leave unless he can persuade his men to attend a lecture on Beethoven.

Bilko's solution to this is highly unusual. I think this is another episode that would probably fail 21st century political correctness expectations.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan