Started by R6GYY, December 20, 2022, 12:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

Do yourself a favour. Go and see this on the biggest screen you can find.

3D IMAX for me.

Outstanding.

Do be warned that the run-time is over 3 hours - I had to pick my moment for a midway p-break.

Other than that, I don't have a single bad word to say about this. Quite the opposite. I enjoyed this so much more than the original.

If I had to give a score, then out of 5 it would be 5. Out of 10, then I guess 9.

I have avoided reviews, and I don't want to do any spoilers, but I would say that this is a triumph.

This isn't going to change your life or anything like that, but for 3 hours, this will do what cinema does best and transport you to somewhere else completely.

I went into this in a good mood anyway, and came out happier still.

Matt2112

Wasn't fond of the original (seen in IMAX 3D at the time of release), however, based on that glowing review Reg I may give this sequel a try.  We shall see.

R6GYY

I saw the original in 2D first in the cinema and was like, meh. Then I saw it on my 40 inch 3D TV at home in 3D and enjoyed it more.

This is better. The key (or centre) to this film is family, and I found myself almost immediately heavily invested in the Sully clan. If it hadn't hooked me like this, I don't think I would have been nearly so thrilled along the way.

It always helps if you care about the characters. That was the biggest flaw with Alien 3 (for example) - I just didn't give a fetid dingo's kidney about any of them.

These I cared about from the start.

Neillwith2Ls

I saw this on the big screen shortly before Christmas and thought it was a pretty decent instalment. The film is essentially the same story again (Sky people vs. Pandora blue peeps), but with a focus on Sully's new family. Some interesting themes touched upon, a few daft ones too, but we're really here for the James Cameron touchstones of military tech and stunning visuals. The design dept. have outdone themselves with the underwater flora and fauna of Pandora, which is visually stunning. I found the 3 hours runtime flew buy in a blur of blue, explosions, violent deaths and expensive special effects but is it really any good? It's no cinematic masterpiece but it's lovely screen-candy; if you enjoyed the first one I'm sure you'll enjoy this one.

pxr5

Watched this last night. Spectacular to watch and hear, stunning visuals, amazing actions scenes, probably the best CGI ever in a movie - but it left me a bit cold. As said above it's the same story as the first one with very little added. It is a movie to impress the senses, but has no heart. I felt no connection with the characters at all. If there are future movies, they'll be the same I imagine - maybe in a jungle or icy planes next time, but with the same premise - bad earth people being horrible to the locals to pillage their resources. It's way, way too long as well - which is why I watched this at home, taking breaks when needed. I couldn't imagine watching it in a cinema.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."