Hunting

Started by Slim, July 02, 2023, 03:28:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

This photo of Phil Spencer from Location, Location, Location has stirred up a bit of anger on Twitter. My own attention was drawn to it after Rick Wakeman asserted that he'd like to shoot Phil. I've also just noticed that Glenn Hughes has called Phil a "complete cunt".

I don't think I'd enjoy shooting deer myself, but I can't really get worked up about this. They aren't an endangered species. I assume this creature will be eaten. And the instinct to hunt is what kept our species going before we could get Tesco to organise industrial quantities of animals to be killed on our behalf every day.

I just don't feel even slightly annoyed about it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

I have a quite strong opinion on hunting, I am sometimes told it is because I am 'city folk'. I like to believe it is because I consider all things living as equal. I don't see the point, sport or even enjoyment in killing another living being.

But that's just me.

I do recognize the gentleman above from some sort of selling or buying a home show on TV.
Genrally I found it doesn't take much to get people worked up over on Twitter though, maybe that's the biggest take away here. 

R6GYY

Well I've shot 30 to 40 rats in my garden over the last few years with an air rifle, but I didn't see the need to post a photo of me grinning holding a "trophy".

I assume that the deer was killed legally and hopefully quickly.

The Picnic Wasp

My only visit to the US was a business trip. Almost everyone we met seemed obsessed with hunting and had their favourite stories to tell. My greatest disgust was with those who had African trophies adorning their office walls. Perhaps if is mostly prevalent in the kind of states I visited, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Tennessee where the deer population must be massive as there seemed to be roadkill victims every few hundred yards on the freeway.

I'm an animal lover and not vegetarian, so as Reg days, if a deer is killed humanely and used for food then I get it, but to pay vast sums to go abroad and kill for fun is beyond contempt. One of the clowns in our party got quite animated telling his tale about killing an armadillo. Pathetic! Being an omnivore makes things a bit tricky. I'd eat venison but wouldn't shoot a deer.

Our driver in Pennsylvania took us to Cabela's, a huge hunting, shooting and fishing superstore. Fascinating place with all sorts of exhibits and an aquarium, but the thing that stayed with me was parents buying rifles for their children. Queues of them. Obsessional!

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Slim on July 02, 2023, 03:28:12 PMI've also just noticed that Glenn Hughes has called Phil a "complete cunt".

I agree with Glenn.

If he's shooting an animal which isn't on the verge of extinction to use as a comestible item then I'm fine with it.

captainkurtz

You have to be quite odd to want a picture of something you shot.

dom

Think he was being deliberately provocative