Main Menu

Violent Night

Started by R6GYY, December 08, 2022, 10:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

Brilliant!

I saw this in the afternoon before catching Casablanca later on.

Die Hard / Die Hard 2 meets a 15 rated Home Alone by way of John Wick.

Bit busy right now - but will say more later. Loved it. Big grins.

Matt2112

I'm getting rather mixed word-of-mouth about this one.

R6GYY

Ok - so I am not going to go all fanboy on this - it does have its flaws.

You could argue that it perhaps steals too much from the 1st couple of Die Hard films, and Home Alone, but I saw it more as an homage to these rather than a rip-off.

There are a lot of similarities though in some scenes, and notably in musical cues too.

Another thing, in case you haven't seen the trailer which gives a hint, is that this IS a very violent film.

The pacing does flag a bit in the middle of the film, and perhaps it is too quiet for too long at this point.

BUT, overall this is terrific entertainment for how shall I put it - grown-up kids?

David Harbour. The last time I saw him in a film, it was the abominable remake of Hellboy, and I am pleased to say that this is a much better vehicle for him, and he does a great turn here as a grumpy, often drunken Santa who is world-weary and fed up of the want-want-want attitude of modern humanity.

I won't give any spoilers (I hope), but I will point out a highlight of the film to me, which is a 'set piece' if you will, set in some outbuildings, to the tune of Bryan Adams' Christmas Time. The contrast between the on-screen er, action, and the feel-good sounds of the soundtrack is a real joy and I was grinning like an idiot through the whole extended scene.

Where was I? Oh yes - if anyone does go to the cinema to see this, I hope you have a good crowd to share the experience with. Kind of hard to explain, but this film proved to be a shared experience. There are some moments where the audience as one will shudder or groan in anticipation as the director leads you into guessing what comes next, and sort of dreading it, and some scenes where we were all going "Nooooooooooooo".

Like Home Alone, where you know what is coming and going to happen to the 'bad guys' but with this film you know it will hurt more.

Yes, there is gratuitous violence in this, but, it is funny! Kind of Tom and Jerry funny? But adult and graphic.

Remember the church scene in The Kingsman?

Not a film for everyone that is for sure, but I managed it ok and despite all the violence, death and general mayhem, I was in a great mood after watching it. Much as I am after watching Die Hard.

Roger Ebert, the American film critic didn't like it, but then he doesn't think that Die Hard is a Christmas film, so his views are irrelevant anyway.

Sorry if I have rambled a bit. I had ummed and ahhed a bit about going to see this, as certain kinds of up close and personal violence can put me off but I am so pleased that I did.

If you can handle the John Wick films, then you will be ok with this I think - although there is more gore in this.

I was a little surprised to note that this is "only" a 15 rating.

HIGHLY recommended, IF you like the idea of the concept and can handle the violence.

If the violence of John Wick or The Kingsman was too much for you, then please stay clear.

Oh yeah - John Leguizamo is pretty good as the "Hans Gruber" of the piece, although he is definitely not cut from the same cloth.

I can certainly see why it gets mixed reviews, but it gets a big thumbs up from me.

R6GYY

Got a repeat viewing lined up for tonight at home  8)