Casablanca - 80th Anniversary

Started by R6GYY, December 02, 2022, 11:59:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

Cineworld are showing this as of today. How can I resist?

The current plan is to see it next Wednesday evening as I have some free time. Sian is attending a work event that night so seems like a plan for me to slope off to see this slice of cinematic history. I have seen it a couple of times before, and have it on DVD somewhere, but I've never seen it on the big screen.

Bring it on say I.

R6GYY

R6GYY

So, on a cold (but dry) December evening, about 10 souls attended this.

What an absolute treat. There are many reasons that this is a classic and I won't go into them. If you haven't seen this, well why the heck not?

I think my 2 biggest takeaways this time were just how sharp some of the dialogue was (a lot of it of course, is oftern quoted, and mis-quoted (nobody ever said "Play It Again, Sam"), and just how breath-takingly beautiful Ingrid Bergman was.

Oh - and the amount of drinking and smoking going on was ridiculous!

Utterly captivating film, and it looked fantastic too - I don't know whether or not it has been 'restored' or cleaned up but if not, then it looked darned good for an 80 year old film.

Can't see me looking that good at that age!

Matt2112

I have watched this only once and that was a considerable time ago now; what struck me most was indeed how deliciously sharp the dialogue is.

Some of the lines have of course achieved a kind of cinematic immortality - and its easy to appreciate why.

It's a damn entertaining and beautifully-made film and certainly ripe for a re-visit.

Slim

I think I did watch Casablanca once, some time in the '70s. Odd to think that it was probably about the same age Dead Poets Society is now.

My favourite Bogart film is The Caine Mutiny. I quite like Key Largo as well although again, I haven't seen that one for decades.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on December 08, 2022, 11:29:50 AMI think I did watch Casablanca once, some time in the '70s. Odd to think that it was probably about the same age Dead Poets Society is now.

My favourite Bogart film is The Caine Mutiny. I quite like Key Largo as well although again, I haven't seen that one for decades.
The African Queen has to be up there

pxr5

Quote from: David L on December 08, 2022, 01:59:22 PM
Quote from: Slim on December 08, 2022, 11:29:50 AMI think I did watch Casablanca once, some time in the '70s. Odd to think that it was probably about the same age Dead Poets Society is now.

The African Queen has to be up there
And The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. In fact Humphrey Bogart is one of my favourite actors.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

R6GYY

Well all of the above are great calls, and I would also throw these 2 into the mix for anyone who potentially wanted to check out les films de Bogart:

The Maltese Falcon
The Big Sleep