Christianity

Started by Slim, November 28, 2022, 06:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on December 02, 2022, 02:48:59 PM
Quote from: Matt2112 on December 02, 2022, 02:29:05 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on December 02, 2022, 01:53:21 PMAt least within Christianity there's the inbuilt premise of turning the other cheek and in fact even welcoming persecution. This pretty much frees up anyone to say whatever they like about people of Christian faith without fear of retaliation, verbal or physical.

History tells us that position is inversely proportional to how much theocratic power Christianity holds.

See also: pretty much any other major religion.

Sorry Matt, I didn't make it clear that I was talking about the modern day situation, albeit relating to a phrase from the Bible.
You would I imagine, be fairly safe writing a journalistic piece for a national newspaper or well known blogs site, criticising Christianity as strongly as you like, and feel relatively safe. Perhaps if that criticism was directed as forcefully in the direction of another faith, you wouldn't feel as comfortable. I hope that's clearer.

I get what you are saying.  The self-censorship that goes on regarding Islam in particular is effectively a de facto blasphemy law - and this should be firmly resisted.

Isn't it depressingly ironic that those who only very recently wouldn't dare have anyone call the hijab symbolically oppressive are now the first ones to claim solidarity with those women who have been burning them in Iran? ::)

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: GhostWriter on February 23, 2024, 02:44:47 AMI showed up here to read about Slim's conversion after all these years. Can someone point me to where it is? :)

I think it's Page 59 of the What Made You Grumpy Today thread? He's getting a new bathroom.😂