Christianity

Started by Slim, November 28, 2022, 06:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on December 01, 2022, 02:47:37 PMWell, I wish that 99% of the population were devout Christians, we might get Christmas starting on 25th December then and not in the middle of bloody September  >:(

Yeah, and we would still have the Cadbury's Crème Eggs to look forward to when we fill up the car on Boxing Day.

dom

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on December 01, 2022, 02:47:37 PMWell, I wish that 99% of the population were devout Christians, we might get Christmas starting on 25th December then and not in the middle of bloody September  >:(

Cheer up!  It's a dark and miserable time of year. If a few twinkling lights and tinsel can cheer someone up, why not? Even if Christmas is still a few weeks away.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: dom on December 01, 2022, 06:01:01 PM

Cheer up!  It's a dark and miserable time of year. If a few twinkling lights and tinsel can cheer someone up, why not? Even if Christmas is still a few weeks away.
And with the current energy crisis, people shouldn't be putting twinkling lights up  >:(

David L

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on December 01, 2022, 07:09:41 PM
Quote from: dom on December 01, 2022, 06:01:01 PM

And with the current energy crisis, people shouldn't be putting twinkling lights up  >:(
And very disrespectful to Ukraine

Matt2112

Twinkling LEDs won't contribute significantly to the cost of living crisis, but caving into peer pressure and buying Nintendo Switch OLEDs, bikes, scooters, VR headsets and a bunch of other "must-haves" on 12 months' tick will.  :-\

David L

Quote from: Matt2112 on December 01, 2022, 11:23:43 PMTwinkling LEDs won't contribute significantly to the cost of living crisis, but caving into peer pressure and buying Nintendo Switch OLEDs, bikes, scooters, VR headsets and a bunch of other "must-haves" on 12 months' tick will.  :-\
It'll be a tangerine in a stocking for all in the 2112 household again this year then!  ;D  ;)
Bah humbug!

Matt2112

Quote from: David L on December 02, 2022, 12:19:30 AM
Quote from: Matt2112 on December 01, 2022, 11:23:43 PMTwinkling LEDs won't contribute significantly to the cost of living crisis, but caving into peer pressure and buying Nintendo Switch OLEDs, bikes, scooters, VR headsets and a bunch of other "must-haves" on 12 months' tick will.  :-\
It'll be a tangerine in a stocking for all in the 2112 household again this year then!  ;D  ;)
Bah humbug!

:D

We'll be able to get the Little Miss a couple of "nice things" thankfully, but she's certainly not going to be showered with gifts as: 1) it's wasteful; 2) I don't want her to feel disproportionately entitled to it; and 3) I'm a tight Yorkshire get. ;D

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on December 01, 2022, 11:23:43 PMbikes
Bikes are good. For the environment, for your health and for your spiritual wellbeing :)

dom

Christ on a bike!

Matt2112

No spokes - it's a miracle!!

pxr5

A nice yellow helmet too - good man.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Fishy

No helmet either...idiot
From The Land of Honest Men

The Picnic Wasp

At least within Christianity there's the inbuilt premise of turning the other cheek and in fact even welcoming persecution. This pretty much frees up anyone to say whatever they like about people of Christian faith without fear of retaliation, verbal or physical. Can the same be said for other beliefs?

Matt2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on December 02, 2022, 01:53:21 PMAt least within Christianity there's the inbuilt premise of turning the other cheek and in fact even welcoming persecution. This pretty much frees up anyone to say whatever they like about people of Christian faith without fear of retaliation, verbal or physical.

History tells us that position is inversely proportional to how much theocratic power Christianity holds.

See also: pretty much any other major religion.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Matt2112 on December 02, 2022, 02:29:05 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on December 02, 2022, 01:53:21 PMAt least within Christianity there's the inbuilt premise of turning the other cheek and in fact even welcoming persecution. This pretty much frees up anyone to say whatever they like about people of Christian faith without fear of retaliation, verbal or physical.

History tells us that position is inversely proportional to how much theocratic power Christianity holds.

See also: pretty much any other major religion.

Sorry Matt, I didn't make it clear that I was talking about the modern day situation, albeit relating to a phrase from the Bible.
You would I imagine, be fairly safe writing a journalistic piece for a national newspaper or well known blogs site, criticising Christianity as strongly as you like, and feel relatively safe. Perhaps if that criticism was directed as forcefully in the direction of another faith, you wouldn't feel as comfortable. I hope that's clearer.