Main Menu

So what are you listening to?

Started by pdw1, February 22, 2022, 11:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Thenop

Feels like I need to browse thorugh my entire collection to see what Rick Rubin production I actually have. Probably a lot, Beastie Boys, Slayer, Johhny cash, Masters of Reality, I could go on.

captainkurtz

Quote from: Thenop on October 09, 2024, 09:19:06 AMFeels like I need to browse thorugh my entire collection to see what Rick Rubin production I actually have. Probably a lot, Beastie Boys, Slayer, Johhny cash, Masters of Reality, I could go on.
Chilli Peppers and the last Sabbath record?

captainkurtz

The Smile - Cutouts

Outstanding.

Thenop

Quote from: captainkurtz on October 09, 2024, 10:18:27 AM
Quote from: Thenop on October 09, 2024, 09:19:06 AMFeels like I need to browse thorugh my entire collection to see what Rick Rubin production I actually have. Probably a lot, Beastie Boys, Slayer, Johhny cash, Masters of Reality, I could go on.

Yes, I have many, many more. Chili Peppers best to be listened to on vinyl though, the digital versions have a very poor dynamic range. Half of the time you can't even hear what is going on. I have the Stadium Arcadium 4LP set and when the title track sets in it's like Chad is in my living room. Compare that to the horribly compressed CD and the night and day difference is scary.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Thenop on October 09, 2024, 10:50:07 AM
Quote from: captainkurtz on October 09, 2024, 10:18:27 AM

Yes, I have many, many more. Chili Peppers best to be listened to on vinyl though, the digital versions have a very poor dynamic range. Half of the time you can't even hear what is going on. I have the Stadium Arcadium 4LP set and when the title track sets in it's like Chad is in my living room. Compare that to the horribly compressed CD and the night and day difference is scary.

Is there a budget level system which would highlight such a dramatic difference, or can it only be experienced on high end gear?

Thenop

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on October 09, 2024, 01:28:53 PMIs there a budget level system which would highlight such a dramatic difference, or can it only be experienced on high end gear?

It's audible for me on anything, the difference between a source recording with a low dynamic range vs a source recording with a higher dynamic range is not difficult to spot.
This is not a discussion on medium (which is a different debate). Listen to an original first issue CD from the late 80s with a high dynamic range and then listen to the same 'remaster' that has been compressed and the dynamics are pushed close to the max. It tires the ears. Some people prefer the remasters, I think many of us here would prefer the originals.

pdw1

Atrophy - Asylum
Chelsea Wolfe - Se Reaches Out To She Reaches Out To She
DeadBlondeStars - Metamorphosis

David L

Frampton - Breaking All The Rules
Journey - Departure
Supertramp - Breakfast In America
Rush - Hold Your Fire

Thenop

Rory Gallagher - ALl Around Man live in London, in anticipation of tomorrows arrival of the BBC sessions 3LP. Weekend sorted. 

Thenop

For all of those that went and saw David Gilmour, here is your encore:

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Thenop on October 13, 2024, 05:58:43 AMFor all of those that went and saw David Gilmour, here is your encore:
I understand he's covering their KKK Bitch  ;D  ;)

Fishy

Coldplay Moon Music.. I'm quite liking it which is a bit strange
From The Land of Honest Men

Thenop

Quote from: Fishy on October 14, 2024, 02:35:43 PMColdplay Moon Music.. I'm quite liking it which is a bit strange

I feel for you, hang in there. Things will get better, I promise.

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."