Main Menu

So what are you listening to?

Started by pdw1, February 22, 2022, 11:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on September 14, 2024, 12:18:52 AMQueen - The Night Comes Down

Superb! Folk moaning about Freddie's voice being pitch corrected. Who cares? Everyone's doing it.
I CARE!!!!!!!!!! If everybody was jumping off a cliff would you do it?

There was nothing wrong with them in the first place, to me the autotuned version seems off key. I played the Queen album to death back in the day so it's burned into my brain, the autotune adds a Robotic sheen to the thing. I don't mind what they've done to the drums as much.

I was prepared to sheel out £130 for the box set, but not now.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on September 14, 2024, 11:46:32 AM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on September 14, 2024, 12:18:52 AMQueen - The Night Comes Down

Superb! Folk moaning about Freddie's voice being pitch corrected. Who cares? Everyone's doing it.
I CARE!!!!!!!!!! If everybody was jumping off a cliff would you do it?

There was nothing wrong with them in the first place, to me the autotuned version seems off key. I played the Queen album to death back in the day so it's burned into my brain, the autotune adds a Robotic sheen to the thing. I don't mind what they've done to the drums as much.

I was prepared to sheel out £130 for the box set, but not now.

But we'll always have the original recording. I don't have an issue with AI or computerised tinkering delivering a glossy product, it's where deception could occur which bothers me. Replicating someone's voice for example. Studios have employed fakery for decades. Reverb, delay, compression, comping, overdubbing. It's all kidology, smoke and mirrors and if it's done well it can be great. I do appreciate when a band can reproduce a sound live and deliver a great performance but I believe even bands like Rush hide to an extent live by playing at unnecessary loud volume. If you listen to isolated Geddy and Alex parts live they're far from perfect but you'd never pick these things up at arena decibel levels. I also believe that if you're asking fans to shell out large sums of cash for a version of a record they've bought probably more than once in the past that it should be sufficiently different or improved in as many ways as possible.

Nickslikk2112

Wytch Hazel - III:Pentecost (Spirit and Fire marble vinyl)
Witchfynde - The Lost Tapes (Silver - er, grey - vinyl)

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on September 14, 2024, 02:17:29 PMI also believe that if you're asking fans to shell out large sums of cash for a version of a record they've bought probably more than once in the past that it should be sufficiently different or improved in as many ways as possible.
What you need is Steven Wilson to do a remix with 5.1/Atmos versions. Lots of alternate takes and a couple of previously unreleased live shows.

You do not want to Prostitute yourselves and Castrate your human pride by pitch correcting vocals which sound just fine and adding triggered drums.

captainkurtz

Jane's addiction- Nothing's Shocking

Lightning in a bottle and, for me, the start of alternative rock music and the end of hair metal...scorched earth after this and my tastes shifted.  The late 80's early 90's produced the most incredible rock bands and records.  I miss those days.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on September 14, 2024, 09:35:39 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on September 14, 2024, 02:17:29 PMI also believe that if you're asking fans to shell out large sums of cash for a version of a record they've bought probably more than once in the past that it should be sufficiently different or improved in as many ways as possible.
What you need is Steven Wilson to do a remix with 5.1/Atmos versions. Lots of alternate takes and a couple of previously unreleased live shows.

You do not want to Prostitute yourselves and Castrate your human pride by pitch correcting vocals which sound just fine and adding triggered drums.

I'll think I'll just buy the hoodie.

David L

Nickslikk2112

Frank Zappa - Live in Colorado Springs 31st March 1974

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nickslikk2112

Frank Zappa - Live in Colorado Springs 31st March 1974 (Disc 2)

Nick

All those wasted years - Hanoi Rocks

pdw1

Masters of Reality - Sunrise On The Sufferbus

what a brilliant album