So what are you listening to?

Started by pdw1, February 22, 2022, 11:48:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

Spell - Tragic Magic
Riverside - Rapid Eye Movement

captainkurtz

Who's next

Never ceases to amaze.  For me, The Who only have 3 essential records...but they're so essential, it elevates time to one of the all time greats...

Slim

Quote from: captainkurtz on April 13, 2024, 11:04:06 PMWho's next

Never ceases to amaze.  For me, The Who only have 3 essential records...but they're so essential, it elevates time to one of the all time greats...

I was going to work my way through the studio discography earlier this year but decided to do Kiss instead. I think I'll start it now. I've just bought Pete Townsend's autobiography last week so it'll tie in nicely.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Quote from: Slim on April 14, 2024, 12:29:50 PM

I was going to work my way through the studio discography earlier this year but decided to do Kiss instead. I think I'll start it now. I've just bought Pete Townsend's autobiography last week so it'll tie in nicely.

Sounds like a great plan. I always found the Who to be band that made the 60s to 70s transition the best.
Let's find out!

Slim

Quote from: Thenop on April 14, 2024, 12:38:38 PMSounds like a great plan. I always found the Who to be band that made the 60s to 70s transition the best.

Let's find out!

Yes! They'd morphed seamlessly from mods to rockers by 1968, with a cursory nod to psychedelia along the way.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Thenop

Fluisteraars - De Kronieken van het verdwenen Kasteel - Nergena

Dutch Black metal, fantastic. My favourite of theirs is "Bloem" (Flower) with a cover of a poppy in bloom on the cover. They write songs about where they live (which is where we always go on holiday, so I can relate a little bit), what once was and maybe still is. Oh and everything is in Dutch :-) The one I am listening to now translates to "the Chronicles of the Lost Castles".
I suppose you have to like metal in general, and this specific niche in particular to be able to appreciate it. The good thing is: it is not Satanic in any way (which is a bit childish), there is no corpsepaint, burning candles and animal skulls. It's 2 guys making music.

captainkurtz

Quote from: Slim on April 14, 2024, 12:29:50 PM

I can't resist a nice print - this arrived last week - 2 x A2 size signed prints to commemorate their recent Albert Hall Teenage Cancer Trust gigs. The quality of the printing is really quite beautiful, its almost like a proper painting, rather than something that has been knocked out from a laser printer...

All proceeds to Teenage Cancer Trust as well, which was an added incentive / bonus.

Gets the wife approval, which is nice.  Getting them framed up this week...

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

dom

PG plays live. Released after the 4th studio album this is Peter at his brilliant best for me. Brilliant live album not only due to the fantastic material on offer

David L

The Who - My Generation (accompanied by Slim's insightful notes).
I've never heard it before but the last track 'The Ox' really highlights the fact that Moon's previous band was 'surf-rock' act The Beachcombers (source: Qobuz - 'artist notes')

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Thenop

Motorpsycho - the Tower

Have 4 lined up for tomorrow:
new Pearl Jam (low expectations)
new High on Fire (I know what I am going to get from these modern day Motorheads)
https://highonfire.bandcamp.com/album/cometh-the-storm
new Dool (which I KNOW will be awesome, 1 of the best Dutch bands around)
https://dool.bandcamp.com/album/the-shape-of-fluidity
new Dvne (high expectations) Bandcamp blurb: Dvne is a 5-piece metal band from Edinburgh, UK. Taking influences from a myriad of genres including post metal, doom, and progressive rock. Combining fierce riffs and melodic textures, Dvne travels an epic dark sci-fi universe with hints of psychedelia. Long live the Kwisatz Haderach.
https://songs-of-arrakis.bandcamp.com/album/voidkind

pdw1

Marillion - All One Tonight

Nickslikk2112

Riverside - Anno Domini High Definition
Boston - Don't Look Back

captainkurtz

AC/DC - Live
Shows how essential Rudd is...the tempo on the classics is much too fast..