New TT Installed

Started by pxr5, November 23, 2022, 03:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

I've just updated my trusty Rega Planar 1 to a P6. Sticking with the Rega Exact cartridge for now as I only have an MM pre-amp - maybe I'll update to MC in the future. I replaced the belt with the Rega EBLT reference as well. Lovely.

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nickslikk2112

I got a Union Flag RP6 a few years back at a very good price :)

About time I replaced the cartridge though :(

Thenop

Nice upgrade!
Have the Rega Fono MM MK3 as well feeding into a Denon PMA1600.

Actually just bought a new stylus, needed it. I replace cartidges every 2 styluses (styli?) and works fine for me. 
For a record player itself I have my workhorse, Technics SL1200GR direct drive, never fails me. Cartridge ATVM740ML.

David L

Quote from: pxr5 on November 23, 2022, 03:17:14 PMI've just updated my trusty Rega Planar 1 to a P6. Sticking with the Rega Exact cartridge for now as I only have an MM pre-amp - maybe I'll update to MC in the future. I replaced the belt with the Rega EBLT reference as well. Lovely.

Nice. I've had a few Regas in my time, in fact I have a nice Planar 3 up for sale at the moment

And here's my latest. IMO 'tis a thing of beauty!

Thenop

Lovely vintage Pioneer that is mate! You did it up yourself?

David L

Quote from: Thenop on November 23, 2022, 08:42:57 PMLovely vintage Pioneer that is mate! You did it up yourself?
No, unbelievably it is virtually as I bought it! It's a PL-530 produced between 1976 and 1978. I bought it from a middle-aged guy who bought it a few years ago from an elderly couple. He suspects they were the original buyers and had hardly used it (that was confirmed by the fact that the metal ring in the platter mat still had the protective film on it!)
The PL-530 plinth was (regrettably) finished with vinyl wrap but it's in great condition with just a couple of hardly-noticeable, tiny areas of damage. Oh, and one of the lid hinge covers is missing. I can't believe how lucky I was to find such a great example. Basically, I just gave it a careful clean to remove 50 years of grime.
Only issue, so far, is the auto-return is a little hit and miss. Luckily, you can find the service manual online and I'm guessing the mechanism needs just a little fine adjustment. Even though the instructions are quite clear, I'm loathe to mess with it at the moment. Everything else works perfectly.
It came with a (of the period) Shure M95 cartridge, which was fortunate as I was using an expensive Jico SAS stylus in the same cart in my Thorens TD150. So, I just swapped the stylus into the Pioneer and it sounds very nice.
There's something about playing all my seventies music on a suitable TT from that era!
;D