Main Menu

Wilko Has Died

Started by Slim, November 23, 2022, 11:32:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

https://www.nme.com/news/music/wilko-johnson-has-died-aged-75-3354327

Really sad news. After he had his surprise reprieve from cancer in 2014 I did think to myself that it wouldn't last forever. Only saw him once, at Huddersfield Poly in 1979. Very good night.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Never got to see him. :(

RIP Wilko, but you managed a second innings.

David L

Sad news. That second chance lasted longer than he (or anyone else) could have hoped for, I'm sure.
RIP

Slim

Wilko's stint in The Blockheads remains one of the strangest episodes in rock music. His distinctive recycled-Mick Green clipped riff guitar style was so obviously out of place in that band.

In an interview years ago he admitted he used to turn his volume knob right down for some of their tunes because he didn't know the chords.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Quote from: Slim on November 23, 2022, 01:15:42 PMWilko's stint in The Blockheads remains one of the strangest episodes in rock music. His distinctive recycled-Mick Green clipped riff guitar style was so obviously out of place in that band.

In an interview years ago he admitted he used to turn his volume knob right down for some of their tunes because he didn't know the chords.
Just found a ref to this:

https://www.loudersound.com/news/wilko-johnson-i-mimed-with-ian-dury-and-the-blockheads

Wilko Johnson says he had to mime his guitar playing when he joined Ian Dury And The Blockheads as the band were technically way beyond his capabilities.

The guitar icon joined Dury's band in 1980 and appeared on that year's album Laughter. But when it came to performing live, Wilko lightheartedly admits he was out of his depth to start with.

Johnson tells the BBC: "The Blockheads...when I joined them, me I'm 12 chords and three bars. The Blockheads were notorious man, they were jazzers and all sorts. They could play like crazy.

"For quite a while it was difficult for me, they were doing all these augmented chords and things."

He continues: "Sometimes, when we started playing live, it would get to bits in the song where it was a little bit beyond me and I would just turn down my guitar and mime.

"The thing is with a big band...keep a determined expression on your face and nobody knows."

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

So good that he got all those unexpected extra years of life. I was never into Dr Feelgood but he had a small hard core group of fans in my year at school. They wrote Wilko all over the place. On walls, text books etc. A real character.

pxr5

Really sad news, I felt quite emotional when I read this earlier - maybe because he is my generation and someone who I've been aware of since being a kid. I loved his guitar playing too; unorthodox true, but exciting too. RIP Wilko.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Blastzone

Caught him supporting The Stranglers a few years back . Norman Watt Roy was playing alongside him . What a sound they made together . Another one gone unfortunately

Nick

Oil city confidential is a great watch if you can find it.

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Nick on November 26, 2022, 07:30:52 AMOil city confidential is a great watch if you can find it.
Sky Arts put it in the day he died.

Nick

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on November 26, 2022, 10:39:59 AM
Quote from: Nick on November 26, 2022, 07:30:52 AMOil city confidential is a great watch if you can find it.
Sky Arts put it in the day he died.

Thanks,found it and downloaded