The FiFA World Cup, Qatar 2022

Started by Slim, November 10, 2022, 02:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

Bale missing in action again.. time they binned him.. talisman indeed.. just an overrated nothingness of a player..
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

Bale hasn't actually played much football this year, no wonder he's a bit off. I heard earlier that he'd had more minutes on the pitch with Wales in 2022 than with the two clubs he's played for in the same time period combined.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

Ecuador looked impressive against a tiring Dutch team. 1-1 probably fair in the end, but that's Qatar out.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

dom

Sticking with Maguire? Think that will prove to be a mistake

Slim

Quote from: Slim on November 25, 2022, 03:39:25 PMI believe there's an improbable chain of circumstances that would see Wales go through to the knockout stages; obviously it includes beating England in their last group game.

Here's one such possibility I've just worked out before events overtake my calculations. Here's the table at the moment.

Let's say ..

England / USA draw tonight
Iran / USA draw on Tues
Wales beat England on Tues

USA would go out on three points.

The other sides all have four points .. but Wales' goal difference would necessarily be better than Iran's by at least one goal.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

The curse of ITV - England always play crap on ITV (also will someone smack Roy Keane please - what an annoying cock). Very poor form with few chances on either side, but at least we didn't lose (see Germany and Argentina). Maguire probably England's best player. Onwards and upwards (hopefully).

Matt2112

USA much the better team, and for England another show of the type of dreary Southgate snoozeball they lapse into against half-decent opposition.

Nickslikk2112

YEW-ESS-AY! YEW-ESS-AY! YEW-ESS-AY!

Didn't watch it and haven't watched a single game of this overhyped World Cup of Soccerball, but you've got to LOL  :) It doesn't mean as much to people as the media make out.

Had to laugh before Ingerland's game with Eyeran too, as the BBC approached the school where Mrs S works to film the pupils watching the game - it's Harry Maguire's alma mater - they were told a very firm NO! as the pupils would be in lessons.

dom

I should know this but I don't. Does goal difference count above head to head when seperating teams on the same points?

If so England are pretty much safe. If head to head is prioritised England still have work to do

Slim

Quote from: dom on November 25, 2022, 11:31:27 PMI should know this but I don't. Does goal difference count above head to head when seperating teams on the same points?

If so England are pretty much safe. If head to head is prioritised England still have work to do

Yes it does. The worst thing that can happen realistically is that Wales go home gloating that they've beaten England, but we'd still go through unless they were to put four past us with no reply.

But I think they only need to win, irrespective of the score, to go through themselves - as long as Iran / USA is a draw. The last games in the group are simultaneous so it should be fun.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

A good win for Australia - played with a lot of passion and heart, great stuff.

As an aside, I've not seen a single England flag anywhere this World Cup Normally you see them hanging out of windows or clip-on ones on cars. I wonder why.

pxr5

So the Saudi players all got a Rolls Royce when they beat Argentina. I wonder what they'll get if they get to the next round or even further - maybe a small island somewhere.

Matt2112

Quote from: pxr5 on November 26, 2022, 02:20:37 PMSo the Saudi players all got a Rolls Royce when they beat Argentina. I wonder what they'll get if they get to the next round or even further - maybe a small island somewhere.

Perhaps a cruise liner a few hundred metres off the coast where Saudi's rules that prevent indulging yourself in certain vices don't apply (a la professional golfers).

dom

Mbappe was on a different level to everyone else on the pitch and he didn't even have the greatest of games. He needs to be playing every game if France are to progress far in the competition he can't afford to lose a game through injury or suspension

Slim

Japan vs Costa Rica this morning; not a very interesting fixture on the face of it but if the Japanese win they will progress to the knockout stage leaving Spain and Germany to fight it out for the remaining place. But Spain could lose to Germany tonight and still go forward by beating Japan on Thursday, unless the Germans score 6 or 7 goals against Costa Rica. Or Spain.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan