The FiFA World Cup, Qatar 2022

Started by Slim, November 10, 2022, 02:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

For context, there are calls for the England team to make some kind of pre-kick off gesture of solidarity with the women of Iran who are currently suffering violent oppression for not wearing sufficiently pious garments.

But Southgate has said it's not his team's "place" to do that. 

So, yes, either there is about two hours of vapid pre-match kneeling gestures and donning of multiple armbands by his team for every currently oppressed group around the globe, or they can build awareness-raising perfectly well into more practical areas of discourse and just get on with playing the damn matches.

Slim

Pleased to see that FIFA have cracked down on the rainbow armband nonsense by advising that offending players will be booked, rather than the participating nation simply being fined.

Just accepting the fine and committing the offence is a clear disregard for FIFA's authority, and if you can't respect that - whatever you might think about the underlying issue - you shouldn't be taking part in their competitions.

Needless to say this is the headline issue on the BBC News football site at the moment, accompanied by a video which asks: "How do LGBTQ+ football fans feel about the Qatar World Cup?"
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on November 21, 2022, 09:36:28 AMThis must be the BBC's favourite World Cup ever already.

Yes, they probably lobbied FIFA to give it to Qatar. An absolute gift

dom

I think it shows that it was no more than gesture politics.  If the threat of a yellow card is enough to stop them taking a stand, it shows that it's not really that important to them.

pxr5

3-0 at half time. Wow, England do look good.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

Must admit I was half-expecting one of those miserable opening games where we manage a draw against one of the poorest sides in the tournament.

But who knows what the second half will bring? I wouldn't bet against 3-3 but at least we had a good first half.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

And now 5-1 - and I've just found out that the BBC are showing all their games in UHD (not ITV unfortunately though).

A list of the group games the BBC are showing in 4K HDR:

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/how-to-watch-the-fifa-world-cup-2022-in-4k-hdr-england-games-4283305

Slim

Interesting, I wonder how the bandwidth compares with regular HD transmissions? I'd see that as being more significant.

Just worked out that Jude Bellingham wasn't even born when Wayne Rooney made his England debut.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

David L

Quote from: dom on November 21, 2022, 12:30:30 PMI think it shows that it was no more than gesture politics.  If the threat of a yellow card is enough to stop them taking a stand, it shows that it's not really that important to them.
One yellow trumps One Love  ;D

Slim

Wales next. I love the Welsh and I've had some lovely times in that country but as far as football goes I can't ever see past this.

Ideally I'd like Wales to be in a position where they're desperate for a point against England, we've already qualified out of the group but we hammer them anyway. I think an American victory this evening is probably for the best.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

Quote from: Slim on November 21, 2022, 06:50:29 PMWales next. I love the Welsh and I've had some lovely times in that country but as far as football goes I can't ever see past this.

Ideally I'd like Wales to be in a position where they're desperate for a point against England, we've already qualified out of the group but we hammer them anyway. I think an American victory this evening is probably for the best.

I was living in Scotland in 1986 when England played Argentina in that infamous World Cup game. A few of us watched the game in a bar. Every single Scotsman wanted England to lose and cheered against England the whole time. Remember this was only 4 years after the Falkland's war too. I so wished we could have won that game. But that 'support anyone who plays England' mentality is ever common.

David L

Quote from: dom on November 21, 2022, 12:30:30 PMI think it shows that it was no more than gesture politics. 
See also: 'taking the knee'  ;)

Fishy

Bit confused about why Gareth Bale is rated so highly.. 
From The Land of Honest Men