The FiFA World Cup, Qatar 2022

Started by Slim, November 10, 2022, 02:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

Yeah, Budweiser fine for me too. I take a bit of stick from friends about not having a very educated beer palate. I like most lagers and prefer them to their darker, flatter cousins. I will go for an ale type on occasion when the mood takes me. Sometimes I'll have a craving for a Guinness, but nine beers out of ten it will be lager. Just realised that second sentence onwards is wrong thread territory.

Slim

The Italy World Cup squad, waiting to board their plane to Qatar
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Been thinking over the past few days exactly to what extent this tournament is tainted by it being awarded ("rewarded" it might be said) to Qatar.

Can the skills, thrills, drama and incident of the actual football matches, in and of themselves, transcend the ethical concerns about the country in which they're taking place?  I suppose the question boils down to the old one about keeping sport and politics in separate domains.

Do any moral considerations preclude enjoyment of this tournament?

I suppose the only way I can find out is by watching it and seeing how these things might resolve themselves; I do this more in trepidation than excitement.  Maybe that balance can shift.

dom

Quote from: Matt2112 on November 18, 2022, 05:36:13 PMBeen thinking over the past few days exactly to what extent this tournament is tainted by it being awarded ("rewarded" it might be said) to Qatar.

Can the skills, thrills, drama and incident of the actual football matches, in and of themselves, transcend the ethical concerns about the country in which they're taking place?  I suppose the question boils down to the old one about keeping sport and politics in separate domains.

Do any moral considerations preclude enjoyment of this tournament?

I suppose the only way I can find out is by watching it and seeing how these things might resolve themselves; I do this more in trepidation than excitement.  Maybe that balance can shift.

Re keeping sport and politics seperate, I don't think that is ever possible. Certainly not at this level.

Have a look at FIFA Uncovered on Netflix. Fascinating stuff

Slim

Didn't take long for the first goal .. started to get into the World Cup spirit now.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

Quote from: Slim on November 20, 2022, 04:07:50 PMDidn't take long for the first goal .. started to get into the World Cup spirit now.
I forgot it was on - just turned to BBC1 now and at 2-0.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

England straight into the heat of the competition tomorrow with a kick off at 4pm their time. They should be beating Iran comfortably

Matt2112

Qatar look a very poor side at this level, and if the substantial numbers of home (so-called) supporters heading for the exits with pretty much half of the game left a la Old Trafford is anything to go by, their campaign will be a huge damp squib on and off the pitch.  And, it might be said, deservedly so.

pxr5

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

dom

On Iplayer and the red button. People didn't pay their licence fee to have to press red buttons!

Fishy

I managed about 10 mins of the second half then turned off.. just couldn't be arsed tbh
From The Land of Honest Men

David L

Quote from: pxr5 on November 20, 2022, 08:01:17 PMThe BBC getting grief for not showing the opening ceremony (though it was on iplayer apparently)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11449721/Fans-fury-BBC-ITV-fail-World-Cup-opening-ceremony.html
It's the BBC - no rainbow flags....no coverage

Matt2112

Glad Southgate has sorted in his mind the place of women in his own little victim hierarchy. ::)

Slim

Quote from: Matt2112 on November 21, 2022, 09:24:33 AMGlad Southgate has sorted in his mind the place of women in his own little victim hierarchy. ::)

Don't know what this refers to, but it's not the place of the England manager or any of the players to maintain a position on women's issues, LGBT issues or any of the other psychotic virtue-signalling obsessions of left-leaning folk. At least not as a matter of public interest. This must be the BBC's favourite World Cup ever already.

Any day now I'm expecting a campaign to rescind England's 1966 World Cup victory, because we were the host nation and homosexuality was illegal here at the time.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan