The FiFA World Cup, Qatar 2022

Started by Slim, November 10, 2022, 02:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

England 26-man squad announced

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63585869

First England game .. 11 days time. Can't remember when I've been less excited about an impending World Cup.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Agree entirely with your last sentence.

France '98 was the last one I remember being really excited about - even allowing for the fact I went to the 3rd-place play-off for free on a Hilton hotels "fam trip".*  😏

* Croatia 2-1 Netherlands, Parc-des-Princes, Paris

Fishy

Yes have to say I'm fairly underwhelmed by it all.. will no doubt watch some of it.. but it's just the wrong time of year .. and obviously should never have been given to Qatar to host
From The Land of Honest Men

David L

Quote from: Fishy on November 10, 2022, 04:33:04 PMYes have to say I'm fairly underwhelmed by it all.. will no doubt watch some of it.. but it's just the wrong time of year .. and obviously should never have been given to Qatar to host
I expect the bungs have long since been spent

dom

Certsin supporters are getting free tickets, flights, hotel accomodation and 60 euro a day spending money on the proviso that they only say positive things about the tournament and Qatar in general

David L

Quote from: dom on November 13, 2022, 08:56:39 PMCertsin supporters are getting free tickets, flights, hotel accomodation and 60 euro a day spending money on the proviso that they only say positive things about the tournament and Qatar in general
That'll be Lineker, Shearer, Neville, Beckham et al, I'm assuming

dom

Quote from: David L on November 13, 2022, 11:36:37 PM
Quote from: dom on November 13, 2022, 08:56:39 PMCertsin supporters are getting free tickets, flights, hotel accomodation and 60 euro a day spending money on the proviso that they only say positive things about the tournament and Qatar in general
That'll be Lineker, Shearer, Neville, Beckham et al, I'm assuming

Think that would be chicken feed for them. Hopefully though the Qatari regime doesn't get a free pass from the World media.

Fishy

Was listening to a radio debate yesterday where the argument was if you watch this at home are you ignoring LGBT rights and effectively supporting Qatar or would not watching it make the slightest bit of difference
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

I just think that the time for the hand-wringing was when or shortly after Qatar was chosen as the host country, pointless getting upset about it now.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Opportunity missed then agreed, but 100s of people hadn't died in the course of building the stadiums and related infrastructure at that point.

David L

Quote from: Fishy on November 15, 2022, 09:26:57 AMWas listening to a radio debate yesterday where the argument was if you watch this at home are you ignoring LGBT rights and effectively supporting Qatar
I don't understand that argument at all. It'll be interesting to see just how far the England side will push the LGBGT promotion. They've gone 'big' early with the gay aeroplane. I think that's Duncan Norvelle on the nose cone - good shout, Branson!
Is it possible they'll go down on both knees before kick-off this time? Gotta love Gareth but he's missed a trick not ordering all of the squad to grow moustaches - and it's Movember!
Beckham's blown his free entry to Heaven now, IMHO.

Slim

The GayPlane and the rest of the posturing is disrespectful to the host nation's culture and I think it's poor form, personally. I can't see how it helps matters in the slightest.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

I like it in the summer. Very refreshing.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan