Scratching That Rush Itch (Rash)

Started by The Picnic Wasp, October 11, 2022, 11:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

It was a rhythm this time that got in my head - the intro to The Body Electric.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: R6GYY on October 19, 2022, 06:36:29 PMIt was a rhythm this time that got in my head - the intro to The Body Electric.

Yes, love that intro. The loose feel of that drum pattern followed by Geddy popping notes high on the neck.

The Picnic Wasp

By-Tor & The Snow Dog

Inspired by my 10 stone mutt staying out in the garden this morning until he was completely white. It might also inspire me to play some bass along to some early stuff too, when Geddy's bass could be copied and before he became other-wordly. I suppose that began to evolve with AFTK becoming the finished article on Hemispheres. That must be the most meteoric advancement in ability by any artist I've ever listened to.

R6GYY

A bass riff this time in my head, so I just had to listen to Turn The Page.

Awesome.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: R6GYY on March 16, 2023, 12:05:02 AMA bass riff this time in my head, so I just had to listen to Turn The Page.

Awesome.

I've tried countless times to learn even a bit of this. For me it's just impossible, even when YouTube breaks it into supposedly manageable chunks. He sang a complicated melody over this! Truly remarkable. Probably the most challenging technical achievement of his career.

Ace2112

Apart from the odd track I don't dip in too much these days (my Spotify is good enough to chuck some in to my daily mixes), however sometimes I just get in the zone for it, like right now where I just went through all of GUP and and have nearly finished HYF (I'll skip Tai Shan obvs :P), reckon Signals next. Getting me through my work day nicely :)

Ace2112

Quote from: Ace2112 on March 17, 2023, 12:13:27 PMApart from the odd track I don't dip in too much these days (my Spotify is good enough to chuck some in to my daily mixes), however sometimes I just get in the zone for it, like right now where I just went through all of GUP and and have nearly finished HYF (I'll skip Tai Shan obvs :P), reckon Signals next. Getting me through my work day nicely :)

Scratch that, went in for Clockwork Angels tour, forgot how awesomely 80s the first half of this is! Absolutely gutted I missed this tour :'(

The Picnic Wasp

The Color Of Right

A patchy version of the intro appeared in my mind this morning. I couldn't quite piece it together at first not even realising it was Rush until the missing notes fell into place.

R6GYY

Caravan

I've been humming that opening hook for a couple of days now, so hopefully it is out of my system now.

Matt2112

Quote from: R6GYY on April 12, 2023, 11:29:05 PMCaravan

I've been humming that opening hook for a couple of days now, so hopefully it is out of my system now.

Funnily enough, I was listening to Pressure by Muse today (for me one of their best songs of the 2010s) and the first part of its descending pre-chorus riff is reminiscent of Caravan's main riff, so I have an urge to listen to Caravan now, when I have the undisturbed opportunity to do so at a decent volume. 🙂

The Picnic Wasp

The Spirit Of Radio

I've heard too many live versions of this song over the years, which sometimes makes me forget about the magnificence of the studio recording. I was driving to work one day and just before Simon Mayo played it on his breakfast show, he called it "probably the best record ever made". No doubt this was more inspired by the subject matter of the lyrics than by anything else, but as time passes I believe more and more that it is the greatest song ever written. A masterpiece of rock music production.

Edit: This judgement is of course based on the assumption that Bohemian Rhapsody is already elevated to a position so much higher than a mere rock song, and therefore resides in its own untouchable space in music history.

The Picnic Wasp

The Big Wheel.

Just appeared in my head from nowhere yesterday. Great pop song. Should have been a single.

David L

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on March 23, 2024, 10:42:21 AMThe Big Wheel.

Just appeared in my head from nowhere yesterday. Great pop song. Should have been a single.
One of the 'least worst' tracks on side two of RtBs