Chocolate

Started by The Picnic Wasp, October 04, 2022, 08:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David L

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on April 29, 2023, 04:26:54 PMHad a bar of Tony's Chocolonely last night. I should really only eat this brand due to their anti-slavery stance but I also enjoyed a Flake in a Friday night binge. The Tony's is demarcated not in uniform squares or segments but unevenly to stress the following;

"The unevenly sized chunks of our 6oz bars are a palatable way of reminding our choco friends that the profits in the chocolate industry are unfairly divided. And in case you haven't noticed, the bottom of our bars represents the Equator. The chunks above are the Gulf of Guinea".

Perhaps one of the regulars on here who don't employ the switch it off and on again method could post a picture.
I'm sure I've never consumed any chocolate that was produced by a 'pro-slavery' company....could be wrong though

Slim

I have a feeling they've had a mention already in this thread .. ah yes

Quote from: Slim on November 07, 2022, 04:30:02 PMI looked for Hershey's in Tesco about an hour ago. They did have a product called Hershey's Cookies 'n' Creme, but no regular bog-standard chocolate.

Curiously Tesco now sells a confectionery called "Chocolonely". Supposedly a more ethical chocolate product, which is 100% "slave free".

https://tonyschocolonely.com/uk/en/our-mission

I don't normally buy chocolate anyway but at £3 a bar I would pass in any case.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Mine was a 50g bar at £1 in Waitrose. Good chocolate. I haven't been able to find the standard uncorrupted Hershey's of late in order to enjoy that strange chocolate / vomit taste combination again. There's a BP filling station nearby with a huge confectionary selection but if they don't have it it'll have to be an online purchase to satisfy the craving. I think Hershey's Kisses have a more pronounced taste but sometimes it's the shape and texture of chocolate which makes the difference. I don't bother with Walnut Whips anymore since they changed the production technique to a moulded rather than poured end product. It changes the whole experience but in a negative way.

Nick

Cadbury's dairy milk is unrecognisable from what it used to be but Galaxy remains true to its original I think.

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Nick on April 30, 2023, 08:59:22 PMCadbury's dairy milk is unrecognisable from what it used to be but Galaxy remains true to its original I think.

I believe the USA's recipe for CDM still contains cocoa butter as the fat due to FDA regulations. The UK variety can contain palm or shea oil.

The Picnic Wasp

Took a notion for a Caramac tonight. On checking the ingredients I realised I wasn't eating chocolate.