Chocolate

Started by The Picnic Wasp, October 04, 2022, 08:48:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

I must be less lazy and figure out why I can't post images. I really enjoy seeing the images you put up, James.

pxr5

Pyramints - though they are not made anymore. Used to be advertised by Rowan Atkinson dressed as a mummy.

"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

The Picnic Wasp

Oh yes, I couldn't remember those until I saw the Google image. Don't think I ever had one but would definitely try one now if they were still around. Probably tasted like Mintolas. Thinking of those made me think of Mint Cracknel, one of those bars that could be slightly painful to eat, like Toblerone. Some textures of confectionery I find irritating.

pxr5

I'm not really a lover of minty chocolate, but those pyramints were different somehow.

Whilst we were on a mini break in Shropshire last month we found a chocolate shop and bought some handmade Walnut Whips. They didn't taste great, but we hadn't realised they were vegan when we bought them. Don't ever bother, just get a normal Walnut Whip - yum.

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on October 09, 2022, 12:41:39 PMI must be less lazy and figure out why I can't post images. I really enjoy seeing the images you put up, James.

Thanks! If you haven't seen it there's a guide here:

http://betweenthewheels.net/index.php?topic=59.0
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: pxr5 on October 09, 2022, 03:52:47 PMI'm not really a lover of minty chocolate, but those pyramints were different somehow.

Whilst we were on a mini break in Shropshire last month we found a chocolate shop and bought some handmade Walnut Whips. They didn't taste great, but we hadn't realised they were vegan when we bought them. Don't ever bother, just get a normal Walnut Whip - yum.

I have a good friend who is vegan and she occasionally buys me sweets and chocolate. Some of it is very expensive stuff, more so than I would pay for a quick snack, but I just can't get to grips with it at all. It just doesn't have that quick rewarding fix or texture that I crave. Maybe I have a lazy palate.

Slim

I was vegan for a while about 30 years ago, a chocolate substitute called carob was quite popular in the various vegan shops. I didn't much like it.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

My wife's boss (vegan) has bought me h.org.e vegan truffles which I enjoyed (not as much as normal chocolate though, it has to be said)

Slim

Quote from: Slim on October 08, 2022, 10:20:37 PMAccording to this Wikipedia article there exist also Fry's Raspberry Cream and Fry's Orange Cream, can't say I remember seeing either of them.

I spotted some Fry's Orange Cream in the wild on Monday. Three bars for £1, tempting but I was good. I don't go Morrisson's often, normally a Tesco kinda guy. But I was passing and needed a few things.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

With Bounty set to be removed from Celebrations boxes, STV news website has listed five other bars axed by manufacturers but missed by consumers. They listed;

Rowntree's Cabana
Fry's Five Centre
Cadbury's Snowflake
Mars Delight
Cadbury's Fuse

I Googled Fuse because I couldn't remember it despite its description being exactly what I would design if I was allowed to invent a chocolate bar. The wrapper looked vaguely familiar and I'm sure I must have bought them regularly when available, but they'd slipped from my memory. Weird. I'm usually good at that sort of trivia. However, now only manufactured in India. I'm surprised Snowflake bit the dust though.

David L

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on November 03, 2022, 03:33:14 PMWith Bounty set to be removed from Celebrations boxes, STV news website has listed five other bars axed by manufacturers but missed by consumers. They listed;

Rowntree's Cabana
Fry's Five Centre
Cadbury's Snowflake
Mars Delight
Cadbury's Fuse

I Googled Fuse because I couldn't remember it despite its description being exactly what I would design if I was allowed to invent a chocolate bar. The wrapper looked vaguely familiar and I'm sure I must have bought them regularly when available, but they'd slipped from my memory. Weird. I'm usually good at that sort of trivia. However, now only manufactured in India. I'm surprised Snowflake bit the dust though.

Mars have got brilliant mileage out of this today! They'll be having a celebration, for sure!

They said they are just trialling removing the Bounty in a very limited number of tubs. I think the problem is partly, the Bounty is loathed by kids (I couldn't stand them as a kid) and they are sure to be discarded by most of the young'uns. It is definitely considered an 'adult' confectionary (much like Turkish Delight....yukk!) and even I would enjoy a dark Bounty at a more 'mature' age, I have to admit.

If it is phased out, my guess is that it is because it is expensive to produce, after all it has to be sourced from Paradise  ;D

My own selection tub would be based on the following:

Picnic
Topic
Old Jamaica
Ice Breaker
Munchies or Country Style
Fruit & Nut
Double Decker

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: David L on November 03, 2022, 05:13:03 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on November 03, 2022, 03:33:14 PMWith Bounty set to be removed from Celebrations boxes, STV news website has listed five other bars axed by manufacturers but missed by consumers. They listed;

Rowntree's Cabana
Fry's Five Centre
Cadbury's Snowflake
Mars Delight
Cadbury's Fuse

Mars have got brilliant mileage out of this today! They'll be having a celebration, for sure!

They said they are just trialling removing the Bounty in a very limited number of tubs. I think the problem is partly, the Bounty is loathed by kids (I couldn't stand them as a kid) and they are sure to be discarded by most of the young'uns. It is definitely considered an 'adult' confectionary (much like Turkish Delight....yukk!) and even I would enjoy a dark Bounty at a more 'mature' age, I have to admit.

If it is phased out, my guess is that it is because it is expensive to produce, after all it has to be sourced from Paradise  ;D

My own selection tub would be based on the following:

Picnic
Topic
Old Jamaica
Ice Breaker
Munchies or Country Style
Fruit & Nut
Double Decker

Oh yes! That would be a winner. I must admit I had to look up Country Style but as soon as I saw the wrapper I remembered I loved it. The only biscuit and raisin bar I know of now is the Yorkie version, which is fine but not as good a chocolate as Cadbury's. It would have to be the original recipe Double Decker though. The new one is granite based I think.

Slim

Interesting thought. I always liked Bounties from a very young age personally. I miss the old wrapper with the cardboard sleeve.

I think my own selection tub would contain minatures of:

Mars Bar
Crunchie
Snickers
Flake
Bounty
Twix
Fry's Chocolate Cream (or similar)
Milky Bar
Fudge
Malteser bar
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

Does anyone remember these Mars bars from 2009? I loved them so much I bought as many as I could, they are truly delicious. Not available anymore, but I wish Mars would do them again.

"This bar is similar to a regular Mars except that the chocolate coating is made with rich dark chocolate instead of the milk. The nougat inside the bar is white in colour and creamier in taste and softer in texture than that of a regular Mars."

https://www.foodstufffinds.co.uk/2009/07/mars-midnight-limited-edition-pound.html

The Picnic Wasp

Yes, I remember the Midnight Mars. I really liked them. There's so many items of confectionery I wish would return but it's a day and age of stringent control of set up and production costs. Cadbury seem to be content to just churn out variations of their Dairy Milk bar. No pun intended.