Black Mirror

Started by pxr5, May 01, 2023, 07:22:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

The excellent Black Mirror needs its own thread. So here is the official teaser for the new series to start in Jun 2023 on Netflix. I'm really looking forward to it:

https://www.imdb.com/video/vi1853604889/?listId=ls053181649&ref_=hm_hp_i_hero-video-10_10
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Fishy

From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

I only ever watched one of them - the one with the pig. Just a bit too hateful and cynical for me.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

Quote from: Slim on May 06, 2023, 04:15:22 PMI only ever watched one of them - the one with the pig. Just a bit too hateful and cynical for me.
That episode was not representative of the series and seems a bit out of place. Try White Christmas, Shut up and Dance, White Bear, Nose Dive, San Junipero, USS Callister, Black Museum. All of those are incredible. If you only watch one to try again, give White Christmas a go - you'll love it, I'm sure.

pxr5

Slim

That looks a lot more interesting than the pig-shagging one. Six series already? Wow
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

pxr5

S06E01 - Joan is Awful. I loved this episode and it's Black Mirror at it's best. Maybe a smidge too long but the idea was a great one and enacted perfectly. Good acting as well with a few well known actors popping up. A solid 9/10 for me.

pxr5

S06E02 - Loch Henry. Didn't really feel like a typical Black Mirror type episode, except maybe linkage with the serial killer shows on Netflix. Anyway it's quite good with an unexpected twist at the end. 7/10

pxr5

S06E03 - Beyond the Sea. The longest episode of the series at 1hr20 and the darkest so far. Both Aaron Paul and Josh Hartnett are excellent as astronauts on a 6 year long mission whose only relief is mentally returning to replicas on earth to live with their families. And all goes well until an unexpected tragedy changes the whole dynamic. It's terribly sad as we follow their slide into despair. As with other episodes it's a bit too long for what is quite a simple story but gripping nonetheless. 8/10

pxr5

S06E04 - Mazey Day. An actress has an accident and is pursued by the paparazzi. Set around the late 90s this is the shortest of the series and once again it's not a typical Black Mirror style story. As a standalone short it's alright and a decent horror, but feels out of place. 6/10

pxr5

S06E05 - Demon 79. Set in a northern town in 1979 a meek shop assistant accidentally conjures up a demon (played brilliantly by the excellent Paapa Essiedu) and has to carry out some awful acts to prevent armageddon. This is a very black comedy and the feel of the late 70s is captured perfectly with sepia tones and brown, orange and yellow the predominant colour theme; some good 70s tunes used to great effect too. I really liked this one and there are a few laugh out loud moments. Long as well at 1hr14, but it flew passed. 8.5/10.

Well that's it - only 5 episodes and a bit hit and miss; and there have been better episodes in earlier series. Still worth a watch though. I wonder how long to wait until series 7.

Fishy

Got one to go.. enjoyed them all so far...

Fishy

Finished off the last one earlier tonight .. enjoyed that a lot... all pretty good in their own way...

So when is season 7 then😀

pxr5

Quote from: Fishy on June 27, 2023, 10:13:53 PMFinished off the last one earlier tonight .. enjoyed that a lot... all pretty good in their own way...

So when is season 7 then😀
Season 7 just announced and will include a sequel to USS Callister - coming in 2025 sometime:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/netflix-black-mirror-season-7-2025-uss-callister-1235851460/