Jupiter Eastern Sky

Started by Fishy, September 24, 2022, 09:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

It's shining bright for the next few nights due to east.. fantastic
From The Land of Honest Men

Matt2112

Yes, had a cracking walk with the dog tonight under a clear sky and loved the sight of it dominating the view.

Fishy

Closest it's been to Earth for about 60 odd years...

The Picnic Wasp

Fishy

Too cloudy for us last night but clearing skies at the mo👍

Matt2112

Nice clear skies again tonight.

Looking south close to the horizon I tried to spot Saturn, alas to no avail due to light pollution.

Neptune is very close to Jupiter, but being about magnitude +8 it'll take binoculars and very favourable viewing conditions for that one.  And I had neither on my walk this evening.

Nickslikk2112

They'd have to be Industrial strength Binoculars to resolve Uranus! My 4.5" refractor just manages.

Did see the Galilean satellites of Jupiter last night with binoculars by Jove!

Fishy

Yep .. clear skies here last night.. wonderfully bright Jupiter...

Fishy

All planets visible tonight apparently...

Fishy

Quote from: Fishy on December 29, 2022, 06:38:04 PMAll planets visible tonight apparently...

Cloudy as fuck so I'm seeing nothing.... Dammit...

The Picnic Wasp

Something bright very close to the moon when I walked the dog after 9 o'clock but I don't know what it was. I read that Mercury and Venus were to be barely visible in the low evening sky and a couple of the outer planets not detectable with the naked eye, so a bit of a non starter as an event.

Matt2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on December 30, 2022, 11:48:54 AMSomething bright very close to the moon when I walked the dog after 9 o'clock but I don't know what it was.

Jupiter. :)

Slim

This is a nice resource for finding planets and stars relative to your location. You can see satellites moving across the sky in real time, as well.

https://stellarium-web.org/
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Matt2112 on December 30, 2022, 01:34:15 PM
Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on December 30, 2022, 11:48:54 AMSomething bright very close to the moon when I walked the dog after 9 o'clock but I don't know what it was.

Jupiter. :)
Always

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Fishy on December 29, 2022, 11:23:35 PM
Quote from: Fishy on December 29, 2022, 06:38:04 PMAll planets visible tonight apparently...

Cloudy as fuck so I'm seeing nothing.... Dammit...
And chances of seeing Mercury are very low even at the best of times. I've managed it twice in all my many years - and spotting Mercury...