Coffee

Started by R6GYY, September 23, 2022, 01:08:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R6GYY

I thought I would start a coffee topic, as with my latest order from Rave Coffee, they sent a 'freebie' code.
Said freebie is a 250g bag of their delicious Signature Blend. Beans or ground to your preference.

The catch? You pay for delivery, which is a couple of quid.

If anyone is interested, let me know, and I will message you the code you need. Obviously first come first served, and it is valid until the end of October.

Also I can any number of referral codes for new Rave customers - if you've never ordered from them before, then I can send a referral link. If you order, then you get £5 off and I get £5 too.

No, I don't work for Rave, but I have ordered regularly from them over the years. They are my 'go to' supplier.

Anyhoo, this is them . . .

https://ravecoffee.co.uk/

R6GYY

Always a gamble trying new coffees - today I opened a bag from Hasbean, the beans being from Guatemala (this one if you are curious).

Yummy yummy yum yum. Prepared in a Clever Dripper. My favourite method for filter/pour-over.

The Picnic Wasp

There used to be a coffee and tea retailer (Thomson's) in Glasgow's Renfield St, just down from where the famous Apollo Theatre once stood. It was quite a small shop so people would be in and out of the door regularly. Like many people, if I wasn't visiting it myself that day to buy something, I would stand outside until someone entered or left to get a hit of the amazing aroma when the door was opened. I used to buy an amazing Colombian filter blend from them. Powerful stuff. Sadly, I can no longer risk caffeinated drinks and really miss my coffee. The business still exists with cafe shops and a roastery at different addresses but the shop was a sad loss. As was the Apollo.

Slim

I've gone back to a cafetiere this last few months, having previously used an Aeropress. The thing I don't like about the Aeropress is that it seems to take about twice the amount of ground coffee to make the same strength cup. I brew for six minutes, so there's a time penalty instead.

I do have a coffee machine but it's in the loft. Not worth the space it takes up on the kitchen surface.

I use this: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/300345830

I've tried a lot of other varieties but the humble Tesco Espresso is a clear favourite.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

Clever Dripper

Hi James - you might want to investigate a Clever Dripper. As cheap as a cafetiere, and has what I believe are all of the benefits of a cafetiere (i.e. immersion brewing) without the sludge. It is also much easier to clean.

The filters are disposable in your food waste, so no harm or foul there.

If you follow James Hoffmann's method - the brew takes just 2 to 2.5 minutes, and then about a minute draw down into your mug.

Hang on - here it is: James Hoffmann's Ultimate Clever Dripper Technique

I still use my big glass cafetiere if I need to prepare a lot of coffee for family occasions.

R6GYY

Quote from: Slim on March 28, 2023, 12:14:18 PMI've gone back to a cafetiere this last few months, having previously used an Aeropress. The thing I don't like about the Aeropress is that it seems to take about twice the amount of ground coffee to make the same strength cup. I brew for six minutes, so there's a time penalty instead.

I do have a coffee machine but it's in the loft. Not worth the space it takes up on the kitchen surface.

I use this: https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/300345830

I've tried a lot of other varieties but the humble Tesco Espresso is a clear favourite.
My problem with the Aeropress is that you cannot make a large mug. My normal morning mug is 23g of ground coffee to produce 380ml of brew, and Aeropress you would need to make 2 batches I think.

R6GYY

I see that there is a new branch of 200 Degrees Coffee opening in Chester tomorrow.

I will be sure to pay them a visit next time I go to Chester. I was lucky enough to receive a voucher for one of their Basic Barista courses for Christmas last year which I will be using in their Manchester branch sometime in the summer.

I've got a hospital appointment for surgery on June 2 (I had the pre-op in Feb!) which I want to get out of the way and recover from before I book it. Something to look forward to ;D

R6GYY

It also says on their website that they will be opening a Barista School in Chester soon, so I will have to get in touch to see if it will be before my voucher expires. Would be more convenient for me.

R6GYY

I forgot to mention - I did the course last Tuesday, and great fun it was too. I was the only 'trainee', so the tutor (Ruby, also the manager) tailored the course to my needs. Excellent stuff.

Slim

Hope the surgery went OK Reg - best wishes for a speedy recovery from that. If you haven't already!
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

R6GYY

Quote from: Slim on June 14, 2023, 07:56:22 PMHope the surgery went OK Reg - best wishes for a speedy recovery from that. If you haven't already!
Thanks James.

All went swimmingly well, and no pain at all post-surgery which was a surprise. I am now fully recovered. Good to go.

R6GYY

Currently quaffing a delicious coffee from Uganda (as a filter rather than espresso). Roasted by The Lost Barn roastery. We took a trip over there last Sunday for a late brekky (their home-made baked beans were rather spiffing by the way).

https://lostbarncoffee.co.uk/

And this is the coffee:
https://lostbarncoffee.co.uk/product/uganda-kisinga/