Main Menu

'80s Pop Hits

Started by Slim, September 20, 2022, 11:44:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

The Teardrop Explodes - Reward, is just 2 minutes 45 seconds but truly wonderful.

Slim

I loved Japan but Sylvian took it to another level with his solo material. Wikipedia tells me this was released in May 1984; oddly I remember it from the end of that year. Perhaps it was a slow burner.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Is Terry Hall best remembered for his part in the Specials? It's a shame if so, because his own stuff is considerably more worthwhile than anything Jerry Dammers was involved with.

This is another tune from 1984; I remember hearing it for the first time while walking into the town centre in Northampton toward the end of my Lost Weekend there. Actually this song helped me to develop the necessary sanguine state of mind to go back home to Hartlepool.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

The '80s certainly wouldn't have been the same without The Style Council - by far the most creative and interesting phase of Weller's career, for me. This is probably one of my top ten favourite songs of all time.

A version with Tracy Thorn on vocals is better known but I much prefer this one, with Paul doing the vocal duties himself. He did sing it himself on TOTP in 1983.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Slim

I loved Slade when I first started buying records, I must have had more singles by them than any other artist. Definitely including Gudbuy T'Jane, Mama Weer All Crazee Now, Cum On Feel the Noize.

Ah shit just realised all my old singles were still at my mum's house and they must have been binned now.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

This talk of singles has made me realise what threw the music switch for me. A pal gave me Jeepster by T.Rex, I think because he was fed up playing it. I remember really liking the B Side too, Life's A Gas. I still love that song. Another friend advised me to buy Slider and that was that. Into music for life via Queen and then Rush.

Matt2112

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on October 02, 2022, 11:29:47 AMThis talk of singles has made me realise what threw the music switch for me. A pal gave me Jeepster by T.Rex, I think because he was fed up playing it. I remember really liking the B Side too, Life's A Gas. I still love that song. Another friend advised me to buy Slider and that was that. Into music for life via Queen and then Rush.

I was thinking about this yesterday when I noticed a YouTube video about "records that changed my life". Worth a separate discussion.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan