Bohemian Rhapsody

Started by Slim, September 18, 2022, 01:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Got round to watching the Queen biopic Bohemian Rhapsody last night - I expected to be mildly entertained but wow, what a superb film. Inevitably it takes liberties with the real history but the story is told in a wonderful spirit. The '70s (later '80s) atmosphere is spot on.

Remi Malek plays Freddie as a bit of a caricature and he doesn't quite have the physical size, but - it really is a delightfully over-the-top, bravura performance. And the guy who plays Brian May has got him down with uncanny accuracy.

It's on Netflix if you haven't seen it. Although I'm pretty late to the party and I expect most people have.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Yes, agree 100% with all that, and the recreation of the Live Aid performance is so brilliantly and euphorically done.

It has a bit of a special place in my heart this film as it was shown as part of an outdoor cinema tour at the home of of my beloved Halifax Town, the Shay Stadium, and my band was invited to play a pre-showing rock covers gig for 90 minutes and of course we jumped at the chance.

The event was a 2,000 sell-out - so, of course, a bigger crowd than I was used to seeing down The Shay week in, week out...

The Picnic Wasp

Despite having owned this on DVD since it came out and being a massive Queen fan, I watched this film for the first time last night. I agree completely with the summations above and particularly regarding the performance of Gwilym Lee who played Brian. Uncanny indeed. I'll definitely watch this again quite soon.

R6GYY

Who would have thought that the concierge from Hotel Babylon (Dexter Fletcher) would turn out to be such a fine director?

Not only did he take over the helm to finish off Bohemian Rhapsody, he also directed the equally magnificent biopic of Elton John, Rocketman.

Whilst I'm not a fan of Elton John per se, this is a fantastic film.

dom

Quote from: R6GYY on January 09, 2023, 01:48:23 PMWho would have thought that the concierge from Hotel Babylon (Dexter Fletcher) would turn out to be such a fine director?

Not only did he take over the helm to finish off Bohemian Rhapsody, he also directed the equally magnificent biopic of Elton John, Rocketman.

Whilst I'm not a fan of Elton John per se, this is a fantastic film.

And Baby Face from Bugsy Malone!