The Orville: Series Three

Started by Slim, September 11, 2022, 09:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

I watched the second episode of the third series of The Orville earlier. I watched the first one a few weeks ago and didn't greatly enjoy it, which disappointed me because I loved the first two series.

Pretty much the same story with the second episode unfortunately. The problem, I think, is that this is a show that's started to take itself seriously. What was a very funny comedy with huge charm has decided to morph into serious sci-fi drama. There are still a few laughs of course, but that was true of TNG, Voyager et al as well.

I did enjoy it to a point. It didn't do itself any favours by borrowing from Alien, the most brilliant sci-fi horror film of all time, because this Orville episode had very little of the suspense, and the plot wasn't particularly interesting. And it certainly tested my attention span, especially at the longer duration.

Oh well, will keep going anyway.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Managed to make myself watch the third instalment, last night. Still saddened that The Orville now takes itself so seriously that it's become pretty much a copy of the thing it once gently parodied, but ah well.

To be fair it does succeed at this to a point and I did enjoy it although my attention kept wandering elsewhere. It's definitely overlong; this should have been a 40 minute episode. And it's so short on laughs now. Great shame.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan