Queen Elizabeth II

Started by Slim, September 08, 2022, 01:28:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Well the most recent precedent for the death of our monarch is 1952 of course, and apparently this is what happens - national mourning and lots of stuff called off.

Personally though I just think times have moved on since the early '50s, and it feels a bit excessive.

I suppose though that monarch changeovers will become a bit more frequent for a while. If Charles dies in his late 80s, William will take over in his mid 50s, then he'll presumably get 30 years or so, by which time George will be in his 50s.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on September 09, 2022, 07:39:16 PMTest match starts again tomorrow :D Or, more likely :(
:( Fancy Dress has been banned for the final three days.

Matt2112

Looks like we're getting a bank holiday.

It's all the royals are useful for nowadays, but I'll take it.

Slim

I wonder if we could get a yearly one, Elizabeth Day or something. I've always thought that there's an unhealthy span of uninterrupted work days between the last August Bank Holiday and Christmas.

I'll mention it to Suella next time we exchange WhatsApp messages. Can't promise anything but I'll see what I can do.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

The professional clerics of our establishment are absolutely loving the media exposure that makes them look like they have a useful purpose in all this - or anything at all - aren't they?

I'm afraid they and Chuck are as deluded and as useless as each other - and thinking, rational people who have to endeavour to earn a decent crust no matter what challenges they go through can see right through it.

Time to disestablish the whole wretched lot of it.

Slim

I always have that thought when there's a royal occasion and certainly, I've been pondering it these last few days. Was going to start a thread partly about that in the Religion section, I'll do that later unless someone wants to beat me to it.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

I keep thinking we're going to go through it all again soon, whenever I see Charles III I read it as Charles Ill

Slim

Just a note to mention that a brief conversation about a Guardian article was moved to a new thread in the Politics section; some will enjoy the piece I'm sure so don't miss it!

http://betweenthewheels.net/index.php?topic=290.0
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

I wonder if the Queen was humanely euthanised last Wednesday, to ensure her death could be reported on the evening news?

It wouldn't be without precedent. Her  grandfather, King George V was given a lethal injection of morphine and cocaine at 11pm on January 20th 1936 so that his death could be reported in the morning papers.

This was a closely guarded secret for 50 years. I remember watching the news in 1986 when it finally came out; my mum couldn't believe it. She was old enough to remember when George was King.

George's last words were "God damn you".

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Fishy

I keep wondering what they've treated the body with.. we're almost a week in with still a few to go.. any undertakers on the forum? Not trying to be funny .. genuinely interested .. wish they d tell you this sort of detail on the news...
From The Land of Honest Men

The Picnic Wasp

The coffin is lead lined and therefore sealed. This is because it is an above ground burial. The lead lining prevents the ingress of air and moisture thus slowing decomposition. Not a very nice subject but widely reported and explained in the news sites online.

Nick

Quote from: Slim on September 14, 2022, 01:00:19 PMI wonder if the Queen was humanely euthanised last Wednesday, to ensure her death could be reported on the evening news?

It wouldn't be without precedent. Her  grandfather, King George V was given a lethal injection of morphine and cocaine at 11pm on January 20th 1936 so that his death could be reported in the morning papers.

This was a closely guarded secret for 50 years. I remember watching the news in 1986 when it finally came out; my mum couldn't believe it. She was old enough to remember when George was King.

George's last words were "God damn you".

Will her cause of death be publicly revealed?

Fishy

A 22 hr wait... quite unbelievable.... Maybe it's worth it's own topic .. but who would you wait  that long for ...
From The Land of Honest Men

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Fishy on September 16, 2022, 07:42:26 PMA 22 hr wait... quite unbelievable.... Maybe it's worth it's own topic .. but who would you wait  that long for ...
Godot?