IT Homelab

Started by Fishy, August 29, 2022, 12:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy

More on Jellyfin on LGTV..found this.. the applet bit is now not free so i'm completely in the dark about how to make it permanent...

It is working tho which is great !!

Install Jellyfin on LG webOS Permanently

Yes you read the title right, It is possible to install Jellyfin permanently on a LG webOS smart TV and that too without rooting your TV.

Although I did make a guide nearly a year back, some new things have come to my attention that no longer require you to install a bulky IDE or have to extend developer mode every 50 hours.
Requirements

Access to a computer (Linux, Windows, Mac whatever)

A LG Developer account. (If you dont have one sign up here)

Setting Up the TV

On your WebOS TV go to the LG content store and download the Developer mode app. Open it up and Sign in.

Then 1) Enable Developer mode and restart your TV.

Upon restart open up developer mode and enable the Key Server. Make note of the TV's ip address and Paraphrase you will need this later.
Configuring it from your PC

Get the latest version of WebOS dev manager from webOS brew from here for your operating system and run it.

From the hand bar click on then add a device option.

When Prompted enter the IP address and paraphrase of TV and click add.

Once the connection has been made, select Available from the top bar and find Jelly fin and click on the install button.

There you go, Jelly fin is now installed.
Making the Install Permanent

The way developer mode works is that it checks LG's servers to see if the time has run out or not. You can extend this by making a call to API.

NOTE: The TV dos not need to be on for this to work.

Thankfull the webOS dev manager fetches the API key for us and all we have to do is call on it once before the 50 hours end. There are many ways to do this, bash scripts, home assistant and IF TTT.

I am going to be using a IF TTT applet. Click on this link and create a account. Then create a new applet setting. Make it daily and select any random time. For the "do" stuff select web hooks.

In WebOS dev manager open the info tab and click on renew automatically from there copy the url and paste it in IF TTT's web hook.

There you go. Now Developer mode will be extended indefinitely and Hopefully should work without a hitch.
From The Land of Honest Men

Fishy

The ifttt thing in the instructions above is no longer free but the lg web os application give u a shell script you can run to keep it enabled... once I got it to work using a cron job to schedule it.. I'm shit at Linux

Anyway appears to work so I think I'll be binning plex and using Jellyfin.. loads much quicker initially and less bloat to deal with

Fishy

Been wanting to get rid of the power line adapters from my main switch out to the small Poe switch in the garage.. been working fine although it does lose. Connection occasionally and a power off/on usually sorts..so just bought an exterior cat 5e cable to run between the two..out thru an air brick along the wall to the garage and in.. has been allowed by the mrs..

Fishy

Ok not as easy as I thought so it'll be under the floorboards and out thru the air brick

pxr5

A few years back I was using Powerline adapters but kept getting issues, so I bit the bullet and wired my house with Cat6. My router/BT socket is in the middle of my house so I had to run 2 feeds around the inside of my living room then out through an air brick, around the outside wall of my house then drilled 2 holes (one down and one upstairs) and fed the cables through those. I've got my own termination kit so did all the RJ45s myself. It made it easier with my CCTV system too which is in my loft as I just had a feed out and down through a soffit and through the hole in the wall to a switch. The only wifi devices I have are phones, alexas and internal cameras.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Fishy

Wish I could terminate cables..I'm just useless at it...

Fishy

Quote from: Fishy on April 14, 2024, 06:12:35 PMOk not as easy as I thought so it'll be under the floorboards and out thru the air brick

God that was a pain..the crawl space under the floorboards is pretty small.. anyway cable laid and tested still working.. just in case I snagged on something... so just requires some pinning to exterior wall and garage and connected up and it's bye bye power line adapters

Fishy

Quote from: Fishy on April 16, 2024, 07:36:26 PM
Quote from: Fishy on April 14, 2024, 06:12:35 PMOk not as easy as I thought so it'll be under the floorboards and out thru the air brick

God that was a pain..the crawl space under the floorboards is pretty small.. anyway cable laid and tested still working.. just in case I snagged on something... so just requires some pinning to exterior wall and garage and connected up and it's bye bye power line adapters

All done.. nice 1gb connection out to garage for ip cams and wifi access points..

Fishy

Quote from: Fishy on December 04, 2023, 03:06:07 PMSlack notification now setup from uptime kuma to phone...

Setup pushover notifications.. much cleaner looking app.. free trial for 30 days and then it's a one off 5$ which I think is the way forward .. will test it out..