Manchester United, 2022-23

Started by Slim, August 14, 2022, 01:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

So a horrific start to the season then, and the first time a new United manager has lost his first two competitive games in just over a century.

By now though it must be obvious that the manager is not to blame. Clearly, an exceptional manager who can assert authority quickly is needed, but that's not where the problem lies. Deposing Ole from that job has not done one iota of good, so far.

It's going to be damage limitation before long; granted it's still August but United should have chalked up 6 points now and giving them away could cost a few places in the league table.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

According to Man Utd season ticket holders I know, it's a case of a fish rotting from the head down.

Bring in owners who actually have the best interests of the club and its fans at heart, and the tide may be turned.

dom

The club is comfortably one of the biggest spenders in the league but it keeps making errors with its purchases. Martinez looks hopelessly out of place, it is early days and perhaps he needs time to adjust, but he seems very small for a centre back, and if Brentford can bully him, how will he cope with Salah and co next week.

His partner yesterday has become so error prone after looking so assured at Leicester.

Strategy seems wrong. Buying players the wrong side of 30 should be just a once of in exceptional circumstances yet United keep doing it. Cavani, Ronaldo and Ericsson immediately spring to mind.

The Glazers have to be the main reason why the club is failing. But while they continue to make good money from the club there is no prospect of them selling.

Seems like the club is falling into as big a slump as they did when Busby left in the 60s. He hung around just as Fergie is doing now. For a complete clean break perhaps he should move away from the club, just like Wenger did when he stopped managing Arsenal

pxr5

They should have given Moyes more of a chance when Ferguson left. How on earth was he supposed to carry on Ferguson's legacy. Give him space and support and I think he would have sorted it out eventually. Since then they have been lurching from one manager to another hoping for a miracle. Consistency is required here, even it it takes 3-4 years to do so. But if this carries on ten Hag will be out before Xmas, which is just ludicrous.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

dom

Think you're right about Moyes. I don't think the club were ever fully committed to him. I seem to remember Fellaini was the only transfer they sanctioned while he was in charge

Slim

Vardy to United rumours. One year contract; he's 35. Temporary sticking plaster, if it happens.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Another one! They'll have no hair left at this point!

David L

Quote from: Slim on August 16, 2022, 10:51:19 AMVardy to United rumours. One year contract; he's 35. Temporary sticking plaster, if it happens.
Rebekah's legal fees?

Matt2112

Quote from: Slim on August 16, 2022, 10:51:19 AMVardy to United rumours. One year contract; he's 35. Temporary sticking plaster, if it happens.

Halifax Town have a double sell-on clause; so that's potentially massive for us.

dom

All these mooted deals, Vardy, Rabiot now Pulisic. It just comes across as a club in crisis scrabbling around. A drowning man trying to find something that floats.

Devoid of planning, they're like a 50 yard punt. May hit the back of the net, much more likely to hit row Z.

Sad to see a great club in such dire straits

dom

Reminds me actually of the end of the 2011-12 transfer window at Arsenal after they lost 8 - 2 at Old Trafford and Wenger was given a stark realisation of how poor his squad was.

He brought in Arteta, Metersacker, Gervinho, Park Chu Young and Gervinho after that shocking defeat.

2 worked out very well, 1 was a bit of a disaster, 1 even more of a disaster and one sank without trace. So a 40% hit rate is not bad.  We'll see if United can match that.

pxr5

Well, that was a surprise. Man Utd 2 Liverpool 1. Maguire and Ronaldo on the bench too.  ::)
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

Priceless. Absolutely catastrophic start by United, but they're still above Liverpool in the table :D

I'd say that Liverpool have given Man City too much of a head start now. I appreciate that Arsenal are two points clear of everyone else, but they always fade away later in the season.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

This evening's victory at Goodison Park puts United one point out of the top four, with one less game played than the top three. Early days still but encouraging.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Yes perhaps my early season doom laden messages were a bit over the top. And Martinez looks like he might make a decent defender