Inflation/cost of living

Started by Nick, August 09, 2022, 06:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on November 11, 2022, 02:21:01 PMI wish savings rates were going up more...

I put £20k in a two-year fixed rate ISA a couple of weeks ago. I wonder if I should have hung on for a bit.

The rest of my savings are in a pretty ordinary variable rate NatWest saving account.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pxr5

Savings have been shit for years and are now at least starting to move in the right direction. I gave up with any savings accounts and dumped all our cash in premium bonds - at least with those I get a win every month, some more than others of course but it's worked out better than interest. I also rent out another house that we own right out and again the money back from that is way better than savings interest (all the hassle is a pia though and we are looking to sell next year now savings rates are improving). Shares are another option but can be risky. With mine I just take dividends twice a year and don't worry about if they go up or down. 
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

The Picnic Wasp

Yes, Premium Bonds have been the way to go in recent times. I get annoyed now if I don't get at least £25 at the start of each month, and it's great when a nicer amount comes my way. No life changing amounts yet though. Too far north I think.

David L

Quote from: pxr5 on November 11, 2022, 03:20:45 PMSavings have been shit for years and are now at least starting to move in the right direction. I gave up with any savings accounts and dumped all our cash in premium bonds - at least with those I get a win every month, some more than others of course but it's worked out better than interest. I also rent out another house that we own right out and again the money back from that is way better than savings interest (all the hassle is a pia though and we are looking to sell next year now savings rates are improving). Shares are another option but can be risky. With mine I just take dividends twice a year and don't worry about if they go up or down.
Property is the way to go. Never regretted our decision to get our rental properties. We owe just over £250k  but the value of our three properties is far in excess of that. The era of cheap money may now have come to an end though. Luckily our fixed rates have a few years to go
Even though savings interest rates have gone up, the disparity between those and the inflation rate means you're making nothing, in real terms, on savings

Nickslikk2112

And now bloody Charlie Bigham ready meals are up to £9.50 in Tesco. Luckily the Chicken and Ham Gratin was £7.50 for Clubcard holders.

David L

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on November 11, 2022, 09:24:20 PMAnd now bloody Charlie Bigham ready meals are up to £9.50 in Tesco. Luckily the Chicken and Ham Gratin was £7.50 for Clubcard holders.
Lidl and Aldi looking slightly more attractive, Nick?

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: David L on November 11, 2022, 10:53:03 PM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on November 11, 2022, 09:24:20 PMAnd now bloody Charlie Bigham ready meals are up to £9.50 in Tesco. Luckily the Chicken and Ham Gratin was £7.50 for Clubcard holders.
Lidl and Aldi looking slightly more attractive, Nick?
No.

Their Ready Meal game needs a big raise. The shoppers in there smell even worse than the one's in Tesco, thank gawd for me and the fragrant Mrs S.

David L

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on November 11, 2022, 11:58:47 PMNo.

Their Ready Meal game needs a big raise. The shoppers in there smell even worse than the one's in Tesco, thank gawd for me and the fragrant Mrs S.
Very few supermarkets where you can buy a cheap loaf and a mig welder you didn't think you needed though

David L

Looks like I'll be getting another £1500 consolidated pay rise in January (on top of a £1500 rise on 1st April).
Better than a kick up the arse. Will cover the money I've lost through striking, I suppose.
All dependent on acceptance by the membership, of course.

"Up the Workers!"

Slim

Here's something you can do to save a bit of energy in the present conditions. If you bring stuff home from Tesco or Asda, instead of putting it straight in the fridge, leave it outside overnight. Or during the day, if it's cold enough. That way you won't be using electricity to reduce its temperature.

In fact if it's cold enough out there, a few degrees colder than fridge temperature, a sufficiently chilled bottle of water, a couple of bottles of wine or a few cans of diet coke (or whatever) will effectively power the fridge without electricity for a few hours once you stash them in there.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

10.5% - slightly down but still eye-watering

David L

Quote from: David L on November 11, 2022, 07:07:59 AMONS reveals that the UK economy shrank by 0.2% in the last quarter as the cost of lockdown crisis begins to bite.
Biggest ever recession is on its way
Looks like we've avoided it. However, looks like the world's central banks went too far, too quickly with interest rises - bit of a banking crisis building

David L

ECB have poured petrol on the fire by raising interest by 0.5%. I'm sure they know what they're doing  ::)

Matt2112

How much of a difference the mild weather makes: our "smart" meter shows way under a cost of £2.00 for today's gas use so far - it reached that before midday when it was freezing recently.

Nick

Must get myself a smart meter