Inflation/cost of living

Started by Nick, August 09, 2022, 06:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: David L on October 27, 2022, 03:46:15 PM
Quote from: Pudders on October 27, 2022, 02:45:40 PMOurs is set to 18 - not come on at all so far. Obviously once temp drops to 18 in the house I'll knock another degree off ;)

Blimey! It must be 'woolie pullies' in the Pudney household. Brrrrrrr!

18's comfortable! No wonder the planet's in crisis.

pxr5

I've not had the heating on at all yet, not felt the need.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

David L

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on October 27, 2022, 04:47:16 PM
Quote from: Pudders on October 27, 2022, 02:45:40 PMOurs is set to 18 - not come on at all so far. Obviously once temp drops to 18 in the house I'll knock another degree off ;)

Might be alright for you........I suppose you're hibernating  ;D

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: David L on October 27, 2022, 06:36:51 PM

Can't argue with that. Daft username.😁 Might have to do a Dr Who and regenerate (if permitted).😉

Nickslikk2112

Ours is currently set at 18 - as it always is - as soon as it starts kicking in it's down to 17. I'll be hiding the bloody thermostat thingy too as Mrs S will want to turn it up. I've already caught her putting it up to dry stuff on the radiators >:(

Slim

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on October 27, 2022, 07:15:16 PM
Quote from: David L on October 27, 2022, 06:36:51 PM

Can't argue with that. Daft username.😁 Might have to do a Dr Who and regenerate (if permitted).😉

I think you can change your username from the profile page .. yes it's in "account settings".

I quite like it personally but hey
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Quote from: Slim on October 27, 2022, 09:55:52 PMI think you can change your username from the profile page .. yes it's in "account settings".

I quite like it personally but hey
It's a brilliantly unique user name - respect

dom

With an airing cupboard containing an insulated immersion tank,  the mild but wet weather meaning the central heating doesn't need to be on and a newly found aversion to using the tumble dryer, mean that drying clothes is tricky.  Nothing worse than putting on a top and discovering it has that musty smell from not drying properly.

Rock 'n Roll eh!

Pudders

Haha! I've had to stop wearing shorts! Seriously though, not really felt cold in the house but do have the challenge of a half Maltese wife to deal with. Log burner will go on before the CH as well and. as you say, temperature falling next week.

The Picnic Wasp

Looks like my Scrooge tactic of thermostat set to 16 might have come back to bite me. My Geddy Lee Jazz bass neck seems to have moved a bit recently. I keep meaning to buy a proper hard case for it rather than the gigbag it came with, so kicking myself a bit. It probably just needs a slight truss rod relief but it's a neck off adjustment so I might just try the case route first and crank the heating up. Houses don't really do very well when the temperature is constantly low either, so it's a bit of a double edged sword.

Nickslikk2112

Don't have to worry about gas usage now, the boiler's packed in :(

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on October 30, 2022, 10:50:01 AMDon't have to worry about gas usage now, the boiler's packed in :(
Fixed it :)

Thought the fuse had gone, turned out that the Circuit breaker on the boiler circuit wasn't quite clicked in. Don't think it had tripped, just dislodged slightly probably from the vibrations as the boy was destroying the contents of his bedroom...

David L

ONS reveals that the UK economy shrank by 0.2% in the last quarter as the cost of lockdown crisis begins to bite.
Biggest ever recession is on its way

The Picnic Wasp

In 2000 I started a new job. There was a girl in the office exactly twenty years younger than me. She used to really live the high life. Expensive holidays at every opportunity, the highest car payments she could manage and generally lived in party mode. I used to talk to her occasionally about tricky financial periods I had experienced in the past, and gently advised her not to stretch herself too much and perhaps think about that rainy day. It was good natured and she would always begin her loud reply to entertain the office with "oh you and your recessions!" I wonder if she ever thinks of those chats with the grumpy old git?

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: The Picnic Wasp on November 11, 2022, 11:04:35 AMIn 2000 I started a new job. There was a girl in the office exactly twenty years younger than me. She used to really live the high life. Expensive holidays at every opportunity, the highest car payments she could manage and generally lived in party mode. I used to talk to her occasionally about tricky financial periods I had experienced in the past, and gently advised her not to stretch herself too much and perhaps think about that rainy day. It was good natured and she would always begin her loud reply to entertain the office with "oh you and your recessions!" I wonder if she ever thinks of those chats with the grumpy old git?
I doubt it. Too many people today live the "I want it now and I want it Yesterday" lifestyle, never thinking about what-ifs and then blaming everybody but themselves when things go wrong.

I wish savings rates were going up more...