Nottingham Forest, 2022-23

Started by Slim, August 07, 2022, 03:11:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Disappointing start for Forest in their return to the PL yesterday. But a point would have been a decent result away at Newcastle so coming away empty-handed is not a setback. I think they'll finish 15th or thereabouts.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

There were two live Premier League games showing side by side in the poolside bar yesterday: Newcastle vs Notts Forest (which had the sound on) and Leeds vs Wolves (which didn't).

I was sitting in front of the latter while listening through headphones to Halifax Town's media team's commentary of our game at Barnet, where all I heard literally every two minutes was: "This is really poor from Town".

With Leeds drawing 1-1, the TV timed itself out and switched off - as it turned out, only a few minutes before Leeds's winning goal.

Meanwhile, some Derby County fans sitting on the adjacent table were having a far more enjoyable late afternoon than I was.

Slim

Well - four points from the first three games and I think the fans would have taken that at the start of the season.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

The owners seem pretty serious sbout their return.2nd highest spenders so far in this transfer window

Slim

Well - it's been a highly disappointing season so far to say the least. After the defeat last night to Leicester there's talk that Steve Cooper may be replaced soon, possibly with Rafa Benitez!

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12711563/rafael-benitez-in-frame-to-replace-steve-cooper-as-nottingham-forest-manager-paper-talk
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

So Steve Cooper had his contract extended which certainly had the intended effect of quietening speculation about his future, but despite a remarkable result against Liverpool I think Forest's chances of staying up are pretty long.

By no means adrift though, for now.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Just had a look at the table and Forest are still in the drop zone, but have a game in hand over both Bournemouth and Everton who are only two points and a point in front, respectively.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

.. and there we have it - with the bottom 6 sides all having played 18 games, Forest have climbed out of the relegation places. Southampton, whom they beat last night, are spending next season in the Championship I think.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

And they managed to get a point off Arsenal, and played pretty well too.  Wonder what's going on there

Slim

Quote from: Slim on October 23, 2022, 04:56:21 PMSo Steve Cooper had his contract extended which certainly had the intended effect of quietening speculation about his future, but despite a remarkable result against Liverpool I think Forest's chances of staying up are pretty long.

This is starting to look like a pretty shrewd decision now, he's definitely turned things round. I think they will stay up.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Another game demonstrating Leeds can't finish their fcking dinner at the moment.  Not looking good.

Slim

Looking at the remaining PL fixtures for Leeds and Forest:

LEEDS : Man City, Newcastle, West Ham, Spurs

FOREST : Southampton, Chelsea, Arsenal, Palace

They're level on points (Forest have a worse goal difference) so I give Forest better odds of staying up, quite honestly. Big Sam could easily lose all four games and considering the time he'll have had to prepare and the quality of the opposition, there'd be no shame in it at all.

Of course they could both stay up, at Leicester's expense.

Leicester's remaining fixtures are: Fulham, Liverpool, Newcastle, West Ham.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Job done! I hoped for a point against Arsenal today. All three guarantees Premier League fotoball next season.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Well done to Forest. Real damp squib end to the season for Arsenal 

Nickslikk2112

Arse. Would have been nice to see Forest, DIRTY Leeds and Leicester go down. They'd only be one relegation away from Derby then...