Weather Watch

Started by Slim, July 18, 2022, 10:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pxr5

Woke up to a covering of snow this morning, which is hanging around even now - brrrr.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Matt2112

A steady fall of fine snow has left us with a pleasant-looking dusting today - however, tomorrow we'll be smack in the middle of an amber alert area, so expecting much heavier stuff to come.

David L

Quote from: Matt2112 on March 08, 2023, 10:22:09 PMA steady fall of fine snow has left us with a pleasant-looking dusting today - however, tomorrow we'll be smack in the middle of an amber alert area, so expecting much heavier stuff to come.
Not at all unremarkable for March, of course, although the media would have you believe it is

Matt2112

Quote from: David L on March 08, 2023, 10:34:10 PM
Quote from: Matt2112 on March 08, 2023, 10:22:09 PMA steady fall of fine snow has left us with a pleasant-looking dusting today - however, tomorrow we'll be smack in the middle of an amber alert area, so expecting much heavier stuff to come.
Not at all unremarkable for March, of course, although the media would have you believe it is

Quite; I remember waking up to a winter wonderland scene one April morning a few years ago, which nobody seemed to think was freakish at the time - still got the photo.

We are at altitude though, and it's also not unusual to look down from a snow-covered field down onto the (Happy) valley where there's barely a fleck.

Nickslikk2112

People have short memories.
March snow isn't unusual. Less common than it was, but not unusual.
My bithday is the end of April, there was 4" of snow on my 18th birthday and 2" on my 21st. Mind, the 21st is 39 years ago this year...

The Picnic Wasp

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on March 09, 2023, 10:32:16 AM
People have short memories.
March snow isn't unusual. Less common than it was, but not unusual.
My bithday is the end of April, there was 4" of snow on my 18th birthday and 2" on my 21st. Mind, the 21st is 39 years ago this year...

O to be sixty again. Without the lockdown of course.

Slim

Been bloody hot here in the Caribbean. Hope the snow's gone by the time we get back.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

We got the dumping exactly as forecasted all of yesterday and through most of the night.

Today was the calm after the snowstorm though, with the clouds and winds gone and the blue sky and sunshine making for very picturesque winter scenes.

This morning a very kind soul from the neighbouring village shop shovelled away several inches of snow that was preventing me from getting the car off the drive.

There was slight thawing through the day, which meant I could drive the usual return journey home that utilises a cheeky back-street short cut. 🙂

Fishy

It's shit..very wet ..windy cold dull.. thank god I'm heading to Lanzarote this weekend
From The Land of Honest Men

Fishy

From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

Quote from: Slim on March 10, 2023, 08:38:16 PMBeen bloody hot here in the Caribbean. Hope the snow's gone by the time we get back.

Bloody hot here now. A few clouds have rolled over this last hour or two though.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

Thunderheads are rumbling, in a distant overture.

Over to the west though. Please come here and clear the air.

Matt2112

Weather has been glorious this week; i.e. very warm, sunny, refreshing mild breezes.

Sadly it's forecast to break on Sunday when the inevitable thunderstorms get to work.

Thenop

Finally some rain over here after 5 weeks without. Forecast is thunderstorms, torrential rains. Let's see.

Matt2112

Yesterday afternoon the thunder and torrential rain finally arrived.

And today more grey clouds threatened rain but fortunately there's not been much forthcoming.

Forecast for the weekend looks more promising.