Weather Watch

Started by Slim, July 18, 2022, 10:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I wonder what the record range of temperature difference is in the U.K. over 24 hrs?

Fishy

Very odd weather today... nice blue sky.. with extremely gusty warm winds from the south...
Also bin day today so bins blown over all over the place and lots of plastic and tin cans flying about
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

Mild here today and no rain. 16C tomorrow here in the E Mids, allegedly and again no rain. Looks like big dollops of sunshine over the weekend. Nice.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

It's not right. Almost mid-November and nary frost so far. Seemingly constant heavy rain showers for weeks and then breathless overnight, with very restless uncomfortable dogs despite windows left wide open. Bathroom towels drying quickly at the moment outside on the line due to a warmish blustery wind, followed by periods of dead still calm. Makes me wonder what's next for our seasons and how drastically nature will be affected. Doesn't seem to be concerning one of the neighbours though with their tumble dryer battering on every day, their plastic lawn and imitation falcon perched on a wall to deter small feathered visitors. Clowns.

Fishy

Blowing so hard here it broke the clothes line earlier this morning... thankfully the wind now easing off
From The Land of Honest Men

pxr5

Just back from walking the dog on St Annes beach. A bit windy, but really warm - the car says 17 degrees.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Nick

Planning a walk on the North Devon coast tomorrow, what to wear is my main concern.

Slim

Horrible weather so far in the East Midlands this week. Very cold, gloomy and fog all day.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

The Picnic Wasp

2111 posts James.

Matt2112

I'm not normally one for cold weather, but this past week the dog walks in the still, quiet, crisp, freezing nights, our village enhanced by patches of iced-up snow dustings and illuminated mini-Christmas trees sticking out from the front walls of houses, have been most enjoyable (once I got going...).

Slim

Yesterday the forecast suggested that the temperature would climb to 0C this afternoon. However the best I'm offered now is -1, between 1100 and 1500. It's -2 at the moment.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Nickslikk2112

I like the cold weather - so long as it's sunny, but when it's dull and misty it puts a downer on things. Don't even feel like going out on the bike, especially as my fleeciest kit is currently hanging stiffly on the line.

Slim

I suppose this isn't weather exactly but you get sunset times on every weather forecast so hey.

This is a graph showing the change in sunset times in seconds from the earliest sunset to the latest.

So for example the highest point on the graph is Friday, Feb 10th - on that day, the sunset time is 116 seconds later than the previous day. Whereas, for example, on Jun 25th (the last data point) sunset occurs only one second later than on the 24th.

There's a curious outlier on March 26th when the graph takes a bit of a downward spike - I wonder if that's bad data. That apart though the curve is very consistent. You can see that the sunset time changes most each day during February.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

pdw1

Quote from: Slim on January 15, 2023, 11:09:57 PMThere's a curious outlier on March 26th when the graph takes a bit of a downward spike - I wonder if that's bad data. That apart though the curve is very consistent. You can see that the sunset time changes most each day during February.
The start of BST?

Slim

Quote from: pdw1 on January 16, 2023, 09:11:24 PM
Quote from: Slim on January 15, 2023, 11:09:57 PMThere's a curious outlier on March 26th when the graph takes a bit of a downward spike - I wonder if that's bad data. That apart though the curve is very consistent. You can see that the sunset time changes most each day during February.
The start of BST?

Ah yes - that must have something to do with it. I don't quite see how but clearly it's too much of a coincidence not to be the case.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan