Weather Watch

Started by Slim, July 18, 2022, 10:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slim

Temperatures projected to be in the high 30s here in the East Midlands today. Still comfortable indoors at 10:30. We have the windows closed and the blinds down on the south side of the house.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

Covered our small south facing window. Blind down in the kitchen and lounge curtains drawn. We have two large and one small tower fans moving the air around. Solar panels are paying for them  ;D . Hoping to see close to 4kW being produced at some time during the day.
Great day for getting the holiday washing done!

Slim

I ignored the advice not to travel and made a four mile car journey to Tesco at Ashby. Unpleasant in the car, but outside it felt (at 1pm) like a typical summer day in Croatia or Montenegro. Not upsetting. Very nice and cool in Tesco of course.

Temperature in the house is higher than a couple of hours ago, but tolerable here on the ground floor.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Need the office air con today for sure.

Fortunately at home there is someone on hand to ensure the dog isn't too uncomfortable, but he looks fine, with the closed windows and curtains doing the trick. I popped in myself over lunch and even though it's obvious he's not enjoying the heat, he's showing no signs of suffering either.

Notable that even though 100F is apparently possible locally tomorrow, on Wednesday it will barely reach 70F.

And folk wonder why I insist on going to Greece every summer.

Nick

Was reasonably bearable until about 3 when suddenly the heat really hit. Now 34 in Mid Devon and too hot for me to sit out on the patio.

dom

33deg c reached in Ireland today.  33.3 was reached in 1888 but there are doubts about that record due to mis calibration of the equipment concerned. So probably the hottest day ever recorded here. Went to the beach this morning and the cooling breeze made it very pleasant!

captainkurtz

It's curbing my appetite somewhat, so hopefully Ill lose a few lbs...

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on July 18, 2022, 02:31:45 PMAnd folk wonder why I insist on going to Greece every summer.
To pump out more CO2 to help raise UK temperatures?

35.5C in Chesterfield. It was warm. Forecast to go to about 41C tomorrow. Think I'll give cycling a miss.

Matt2112

Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 18, 2022, 07:08:23 PM
Quote from: Matt2112 on July 18, 2022, 02:31:45 PMAnd folk wonder why I insist on going to Greece every summer.

To contribute to LBA's carbon-neutral programme. Everyone's a winner!

David L

Been doing the ironing out on the patio to tonight, too warm inside (currently 28.2 degrees)

Nickslikk2112

Quote from: Matt2112 on July 18, 2022, 08:34:59 PM
Quote from: Nickslikk2112 on July 18, 2022, 07:08:23 PM

To contribute to LBA's carbon-neutral programme. Everyone's a winner!
Carbon-neutral my arse. Green-washing bunch of gobshites :)

pxr5

I love this sort of weather, the hotter the better for me. We won't get 40 degrees here in Blackpool tomorrow though, then Wednesday is back to 20 degrees - boo.
"Oh, for the wings of any bird other than a Battery hen."

Slim

Went for a bike ride in the early evening. 36 degrees and the oncoming breeze felt like a hairdryer on a low setting, but it was tolerable. Took it easy, of course.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Rough night last night. Too hot to sleep.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Matt2112

Just took a walk down the road from the office to grab some lunch from "The Village Pantry"; by the way, they phoned our office to advise they are closing early, which was very good of them (and completely understandable).

According to BBC Weather, the current temp is 36C / 96F, but it must be borne in mind these are recordings from a "properly shaded thermometer"; the "feels like" temperature is given as 38C / 100F.

Sure enough, it does feel like weather familiar from summer jollies in and around the Med; but it's back to business as usual tomorrow.

I got permission to bring the dog into our nice, cool (and today sparsely populated) office, to give him some relief from these freakish conditions. Looking forward to be able to walk him for a bit tomorrow.