Main Menu

Arsenal

Started by dom, July 17, 2022, 02:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dom

Quote from: dom on April 26, 2023, 02:42:01 PMI'm hoping at least that Arsenal show that they are worthy opponents and prove that they merit their league position this season

City were at their absolute best last night and Arsenal certainly weren't.  They didn't show themselves to be worthy opponents.  Hopefully we'll get a little closer to them next season.

Slim

You never know, there could yet be a twist. City still have seven games to play.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Quote from: Slim on April 27, 2023, 10:06:23 AMYou never know, there could yet be a twist. City still have seven games to play.

Anything is possible especially with City still involved in the Champions League and FA Cup.  I think last night proved though that City are the best team in the league, by far, and fully deserved to be crowned champions.

From where the team was a year ago,  Arsenal can feel delighted that the title race carried on as long as it did.

dom

Didn't comment on the 3 - 1 win over Chelsea that briefly put Arsenal back to the top of the table.  When you look at the Chelsea team and bench it looks formidable.  So many excellent players.  They play so poorly though that the Gunners must be cursing that they didn't score more and allowed Chelsea to score.  They were quite sloppy last night and will need to get a lot tighter when they play Newcastle on Sunday.

Saka seems to me like he needs a rest. Playing very poorly, looks worn out.

dom

Magnificent performance today facing an intimidating stadium and a very physical Newcastle team - sometimes over physical. Really restored my faith in Arsenal after a few questionable performances. 2nd guaranteed and we can still hope against hope for the title!

dom

Form really seems to have deserted Arsenal.  The monster that is City would always take advantage of so many slips. From being ambivalent I've really gone off City and their doped up squad.  I have empathy for Liverpool that so many of their league titles were taken from them by a team that doesn't play by the rules.   City have 3 players for every position on the pitch, and the 3rd in City's case would walk into virtually every other team in the premier league. Even with that they very rarely seem to get injuries - I'm really beginning to think Haaland is some sort of android.

Having said that, only winning 2 games out of the last 7 is really poor form and Arsenal didn't deserve to win even against fairer opposition.  2nd place is guaranteed and that is going to have to be good enough.

Slim

I'm hearing that City have discontinued their interest in signing Declan Rice, so he's probably going to Arsenal.

Better for his career than City, where he wouldn't have got as many games.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

City's interest probably pushed the price that little bit higher, but I'll be delighted if he comes on board.  Chances are Xhaka and Partey may well not be with the team next season so that's a big hole in midfield, that he will help to fill.

dom

Rice and Havertz in - looks like Jurrien Timber from Ajax soon to follow and maybe a couple of others too.  Building on a strong squad.  Shaping up to be a good window, and a complete change in transfer strategy from the scrimping and saving (relatively speaking) from a few years ago.

Arsenal can't moan about other teams spending more.  Expectations will rise in accordance with those inflated fees!

Matt2112

Rice is clearly a good signing - the acquisition of of Havertz baffles me though, a real dud at Chelsea.  Ditto Mount for Salford Quays Utd.

dom

Quote from: Matt2112 on July 06, 2023, 11:11:20 AMRice is clearly a good signing - the acquisition of of Havertz baffles me though, a real dud at Chelsea.  Ditto Mount for Salford Quays Utd.

Think of De Bruyne and Salah!

Everyone had a disaster of a season at Chelsea. I imagine both Mount snd Havertz will fare much better away from the toxic atmosphere there.

Matt2112

Quote from: dom on July 06, 2023, 06:42:22 PM
Quote from: Matt2112 on July 06, 2023, 11:11:20 AMRice is clearly a good signing - the acquisition of of Havertz baffles me though, a real dud at Chelsea.  Ditto Mount for Salford Quays Utd.

Think of De Bruyne and Salah!

Everyone had a disaster of a season at Chelsea. I imagine both Mount snd Havertz will fare much better away from the toxic atmosphere there.

That seems a case of conveniently putting the cart before the horse; the performances of a professional on c.£200K/week should transcend a toxic atmosphere.

dom

On paper Chelsea had one of the strongest squads in the league last year.  And yet they spent most of the season playing like a lower mid table team.  They were atrocious and plenty of the players involved were on as much, if not more, than Havertz.  Of course nothing is guaranteed but Arteta's judgement has proven to be pretty good recently and he has a lot of credit in the bank for last season's performance.  I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt.

This is a player, after all, who scored the winning goal in last but one Champions League final .  Bear in mind too that Chelsea seemed to insist on playing him as a centre forward which I don't think is his favoured position.

Matt2112

In fairness, he was pretty impressive at Bayer Leverkusen which of course is why he caught Chelsea's eye in the first place.  It wouldn't be at all surprising if a canny operator like Arteta gets him to settle a lot better and find his best form.

dom

You have to wonder about Potter. Considering the disaster he made at Chelsea and the fact that Ze Derbi has made Brighton an even more impressive unit since he was appointed. Brighton's biggest difficulty under Potter was scoring goals. This continued for him when he took over at Chelsea. He may also have had difficulties with managing the egos that come with as big a club as Chelsea. I really think they let Tuchel go too soon. Be interesting to see what Pochettino makes of them. With all the transfer activity they are going to be a completely different team.