Main Menu

Arsenal

Started by dom, July 17, 2022, 02:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: dom on October 05, 2022, 11:52:45 AM
Quote from: Ali on October 05, 2022, 11:20:44 AMLooking forward to Sunday, I'd happily settle for a point right now 😉
Liverpool over recent seasons have regularly comfortably dispatched the Gunners. I'll be happy if we can make things a bit more difficult for you!

I'm in no doubt you most certainly will Dom 😁

dom

Well we managed that and even managed a win.  Not quite sure why Liverpool are struggling so much this season. They were excellent yesterday.

9 wins out of 10 is a fantastic start but I'm not counting any chickens just yet. I remember a season , early to mid eighties when United (probably under Ron Atkinson) won their first 10 matches. I seem to remember them sinking without trace after that.

Edit, it was actually the 85, 86 season. Here's an article about it ...

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/when-manchester-united-won-their-first-10-games-and-still-gifted-title-liverpool

Mad to think how football has changed since then, no live football and following Heysel, no European football for English clubs.

dom

I was a little premature with my previous post. We hit 9 wins from 10 matches today. Toughest game of the season to get there too.

Leeds were fantastic today and Arsenal really rode their luck. The 2nd half, in particular, was  a real tough watch. They harried us and pushed the normally composed Saliba way out of his comfort zone.

I think that was arguably the best performance by an opposing team against the gunners. Man U were more clinical when they beat Arsenal but Leeds were the better team and produced a better performance.

Matt2112

Bamford was being lauded on MOTD2 for his performance after being introduced in the second half, but I can't help but think it wasn't getting their full attention; as happens far too often, he fell to pieces at crucial moments, fluffing chances that had they have fallen to Gabriel Jesus would have been clinically put away.

Leeds did deserve a point though.

dom

Perhaps, but Bamford had much more influence on the game in his 45 minutes than the somewhat muted Gabriel Jesus had in his 70+. Unlucky not to get his 100th goal. His hair is a mess though! Could anyone show him the way to a hairdresser's?

dom

A draw away to Southampton is not the worst result but Arsebal should have been more comfortably ahead at the end of the first half.

Southampton really came into it in the second half and probably deserved their draw. The Arsenal team is beginning to look a little weary and the squad is beginning to look like its not strong enough to maintain a title charge. Jesus is becoming less and less effective by the match and could really do with a rest

dom

Convincing win against a Forest team that didn't look half as good as they did last week.

The team had appeared to be running low on energy and inspiration over the last few weeks, so it was good to see both of those things returned in spades today.

dom

That felt like a really important win. On a day when Saka and Martinelli didn't perform, it took a real team performance to take home 3 points from Stamford Bridge. The 2 central pairings, Xhaka and Partey in midfield and Saliba and Gabriel at centre back were both immense. Gabriel Jesus up front annoyed the hell out of the Chelsea back line and despite the lack of goals was another key part of the victory today.

dom

Great to head into the World Cup break with a 5 point lead at the top of the table.

The game wasn't straightforward though. The team were struggling initially, both with the injury to Xhaka and  apparently with a bout of food poisoning to a few other players. Xhaka's replacement, Vieira, appeared very nervous and the team weren't playing well at all. Eventually they settled into their task and 2 second half goals leave Arsenal sitting at the top of Christmas tree for the the first time since 2007.

Nothing to celebrate yet but Arsenal deserve their position. Long may it last!

dom

Rumours that the injury to Gabriel Jesus could be a serious one. That's a major blow to title aspirations if confirmed.

dom

Quote from: dom on December 04, 2022, 05:21:50 PMRumours that the injury to Gabriel Jesus could be a serious one. That's a major blow to title aspirations if confirmed.

He underwent successful knee surgery today.  Could be out for a while as he recovers from that. Wonder whether Arteta will try and find a replacement in January.  Nkeitiah hasn't been brilliant whenever he replaced the Brazilian so could be necessary

dom

Despite going behind Arsenal ran out comfortable winners against a tough but uninspiring West Ham side. The 3 forwards all scored on the night snd the pick of the bunch was Nkeitiah's who turned on a sixpence to completely throw his defender and finished brilliantly. Perhaps we don't need a replacement for Jesus?

Matt2112

From what I've seen, Arsenal are a joy to watch at the moment, with all their players clicking and at the top of their game.

Martin Odegaard in particular is different gravy; Arsenal's De Bruyne.

dom

He is a very special player. Unbelievable ball control and vision. Real Madrid's loss is Arsenal's gain.

dom

Another away win yesterday and 4 goals scored at the AMEX is impressive. The 2 and almost 3 conceded not so much.

Great weekend though with City, Newcastle, Spurs and Chelsea all dropping points.

Tough part of the season coming up with some very difficult matches. If we are still top by mid-Feb I'll begin to believe.