Main Menu

Arsenal

Started by dom, July 17, 2022, 02:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dom

Thought I'd start a thread for Arsenal as I'm feeling quite optimistic for the season ahead. A young squad that showed plenty of promise without actually achieving anything is being bolstered with some astute purchases.

Gabriel Jesus is a very astute signing imo. I don't see him as a City cast off. Guardiola, though undeniably a fantastic manager has issues with centre forwards. Even Aguero wasn't a guaranteed starter and I think the young Brazilian has fallen victim to that as well. Guaranteed a starting position and he should really thrive.

I don't know much about Vieira but his name promises  greatness!

Zinchenko is another excellent City player and if Arteta can entice him to Arsenal with the promise of a guaranteed starting position that's another amazing addition.

The only fly in the ointment is the fact that in Conte, spurs have finally found a serious manager and one who seems able to get Levy to open his purse much wider than usual. They have brought in some excellent players and will provide dangerous competitors.

Of course the crucial question is how close we will get to City and Liverpool. Closer perhaps but not close enough. Chelsea will be stiff opposition too. I predict the United car crash to continue!

dom

Deal done for Zinchenko. That's great news. Excellent player. Really improves the squad

Slim

Currently beating Sevilla 6-0 in a pre-season friendly. Cause for optimism for the Arsenal fans there.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Yes, definite reasons for optimism. Palace on Friday will give us a better understanding of where this team is I think though. Jesus seems to have brought a real fluidity to forward play. He's not a bad finisher either!

No Tomiyasu, Tierney, Smith Rowe or new signing Vieira today which shows how squad strength has been improved. Also shows that we're still pretty injury prone!

dom

Tough game after it looked like it was going to be a walk in the park. Palace turned the screw after we scored. The defence played well and new boy Saliba was brilliant - composed and clinical.

2 0 was perhaps a little tough on Palace but that's a great result to take from Selhurst Park

dom

Leicester provided quite a stern challenge yesterday but the quality of Arsenal's forward play was the difference.

Jesus really looks like he wants to prove a point and his contributions were excellent, with 2 goals and 2 assists and pretty unlucky not to get a hat-trick. Martinelli had a brilliant game too. He has really matured this season and seems much stronger both in possession and in the tackle. Having his fellow countryman alongside him is firing him up.

The energy of the whole team  throughout the game was excellent, especially considering the conditions out there.

Saliba was very unlucky with the own goal but it was great to see the support he got, both from the crowd and his team mates after it happened.

Early days but its hard not to begin to feel very confident with how the team is playing.

Slim

I listened to that one on the bike, very entertaining game.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

Another impressive win this evening  3 - 0 at Bournemouth. It felt like the team had plenty more to give, but it wasn't necessary! Saliba with a quality finish from 20 yards was the icing on the cake

dom

Villa were pretty dirty last night. They also really rode their luck with a goal direct from a corner and Arsenal missing countless chances.

It was very sweet to get the winning goal immediately after they scored though and cut their celebrations very short!

Injuries beginning to mount in typical Arsenal style. I wonder if any of Partey, Zinchenko, Elneny, Odegaard and Ramsdale will be fit to the trip to Old Trafford on Sunday. With United finding a bit of form it should be a good game.

dom

Just seen that after this is how long it took Arsenal to score after conceding this season (this has happened 4 times)

That shows a very good mentality.  Hopefully we can keep it going.

There's no  doubt that the Arsenal squad is inferior to that of City  and almost certainly that of Liverpool.  Jury's out with Chelsea, United, Newcastle and Spurs but there's no doubt this season's Arsenal team is a major upgrade on last season.

Deadline day for transfers today, wonder who will strengthen still further.  Talk of corner scorer from last night Douglas Luiz joining Arsenal

dom

Tough to lose the game today especially after having dominated for long periods.

The game really swung on the 3 subs made by Arteta after United got their second. We were really on top and the goal was to totally against the run of play. The disruption caused by changing the 3 players at once led to United's third as the team was not set but we also ceded control for the rest of the game.

3 subs at once should only really be made as a Hail Mary. When you're so far behind either tactically or on the scoreline that the team really needs to shake things up. It may not work but it may pay off.

To do it when you're the better team makes no sense. I really hope Arteta learns from this 

dom

Great result and performance yesterday. On paper this looked a tricky fixture yet Brentford were completely nullified. They barely laid a glove on Arsenal throughout the 90 minutes.

After the annoying international break it's Spurs. Can't wait!

dom

Good win against Spurs team who I was reasonably confident that we would beat.

Yes they've started the season well but I wasn't in awe of their performances whenever I watched them.

They didn't deserve the point they got against Chelsea and I thought the big win against Leicester really flattered them.

We were too good for them on the day and even though the result was put to bed by the sending off, I was sure we were heading for victory before that happened.

Ali

Looking forward to Sunday, I'd happily settle for a point right now 😉

dom

Quote from: Ali on October 05, 2022, 11:20:44 AMLooking forward to Sunday, I'd happily settle for a point right now 😉
Liverpool over recent seasons have regularly comfortably dispatched the Gunners. I'll be happy if we can make things a bit more difficult for you!