Main Menu

Yes

Started by Slim, June 20, 2022, 07:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt2112

Quote from: dom on June 27, 2022, 05:23:15 PMThe Roger Dean ' opening act' has cancelled due to illness for tomorrow's Dublin gig. Will I be missing much for anyone that went?

I didn't see it; think it's just a 20-minute talk.

Ali

Quote from: dom on June 27, 2022, 05:23:15 PMThe Roger Dean ' opening act' has cancelled due to illness for tomorrow's Dublin gig. Will I be missing much for anyone that went?

He's no Bon Scott with a microphone, you'll not be too surprised to hear 😁

You should still be able to see his exhibition at the venue, I reckon 👍

Ali

As a fan of all eras of the band (although Heaven and Earth is a turkey), I really enjoyed the gig at the Liverpool Phil last Monday

I was originally gutted that Relayer wasn't being played as per my original ticket purchase, but there were enough interesting choices in the first set plus an excellent rendition of CttE to keep me happy

The pedal steel climax at the end of 'And You and I' remains one of rock music's premier spine-tingling moments 👌

I thought the whole band were on fine form but a bit of a shout-out for Billy Sherwood, his bass playing was exceptional and worthy of big Chris himself 👏

Matt2112

I believe the Relayer gigs are scheduled for next year.

dom

Really enjoyed the gig last night.  Steve seemed grumpy at times, gesticulating to the crew and even the audience every now and again but his playing is faultless. Amazing to think he's 75. He certainly looks it but if you close your eyes you'd have no idea.

Howe's grumpiness was in complete contrast to stand in drummer Jay Schellen's joy. His face was lit up throughout and he seemed to be having an absolute ball.

I thought Downes' keyboard setup was slightly odd meaning that a lot of the time he had his back to the audience, maybe the lack of keyboards facing to the front meant he could show off his foot pedal technique?

Jon Davison's voice was in fine fettle and did justice to Anderson's lyrics

As Ali mentioned, Sherwood's bass playing was immense. Like the long cloak he wore too, nice homage to Squire.

Talking of homages, the gig kicked off with one to Alan White with Turn of the Century being pumped through the speakers with a montage of the great drummer.

Great gig!

Matt2112

Excellent review, dom, which also reflects my experience of the Manchester show pretty much to perfection. :)

Fishy

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 28, 2022, 11:55:35 PMI believe the Relayer gigs are scheduled for next year.
Relayer.. but not as we know it....
From The Land of Honest Men

Slim

This was posted to YouTube yesterday. Don't think I ever heard Jon Anderson's band after he left Yes in 1980 but they were clearly very good. Didn't know that Clem Clempson, one of British rock music's unsung guitar heroes, played in this band. He plays the Steve Howe parts in the Yes material very nicely.

H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

David L

I can see how Clem Clempson would play Steve Howe's parts quite well

He's no Frank Marino though  ;)

Fishy

Quote from: Slim on October 11, 2022, 11:48:07 PMThis was posted to YouTube yesterday. Don't think I ever heard Jon Anderson's band after he left Yes in 1980 but they were clearly very good. Didn't know that Clem Clempson, one of British rock music's unsung guitar heroes, played in this band. He plays the Steve Howe parts in the Yes material very nicely.

Saw him at Glasgow Apollo in Dec 1980 with a band in support of his second solo album Song of Seven.. pretty sure Clem Clempson was there also Morris Pert and John Giblin.. great concert from what I remember. That was also the day I bought Permanent Waves.. that Saturday in December was  a very good day indeed
From The Land of Honest Men