Main Menu

Yes

Started by Slim, June 20, 2022, 07:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonners

i love 90125 and large parts of Talk

"traditional" Yes leaves me cold though

Matt2112

Quote from: Red Lenses on June 22, 2022, 12:06:24 PMDon't think I could go and see them without Anderson singing.

I was absolutely dead against seeing Yes when it was clear Jon Anderson's time with them was done.

But a few years ago, when they announced they were playing most of Topographic Oceans in sequence, I succumbed to curiosity and gave them a chance (Manchester's excellent Bridgewater Hall was an influencing factor); despite myself, I was extremely impressed.  And two-plus hours of watching Steve Howe play anything will always be a draw for me.   

David L

I'm not a guitarist, which is probably why I've never got the admiration for Steve Howe. He doesn't seem that 'fluid' to me and spends a lot of time imitating the sound of an aviary  :-\

Slim

He's a blindingly capable and accomplished player and has been since he was in his early 20s, but - he does overplay, especially when he plays lead.

I couldn't fault him up until Tormato or so but from that point he seems to develop a very wiry, diaorrhetic style delivered with a starkly thin tone that isn't really to my taste.

His playing on The Yes Album though is flawless and peerless - there's nothing else like it in the entire rock music canon.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

The Yes Album is a fantastic show case of his work, as is Going For the One.  Really love his playing on Into The Lens from the Drama album. Until I saw this video, I didn't realise he was using 3 different instruments to get the sound.  Not sure if that's more or less impressive...

Matt2112

He's an extremely versatile player - a Jack of all trades and master of some.

There's no doubt the early, classic Yes albums contain his best work - all that will always be extraordinary.

He's a significantly different player from our Alex, though for me they do have a similar ability to "think outside the box" and produce a lot of really great stuff that's kind of off-grid and non-intuitive; things that on paper shouldn't "fit", but somehow do perfectly.

pdw1

Quote from: Jonners on June 23, 2022, 10:55:50 AMi love 90125 and large parts of Talk

That's exactly where I stand.  I just don't get 'traditional' Yes

Matt2112

Quote from: pdw1 on June 23, 2022, 06:57:57 PM
Quote from: Jonners on June 23, 2022, 10:55:50 AMi love 90125 and large parts of Talk

Love them both.  Thing is, the Rabin albums were really just that - Rabin albums.  That's when Yes turned into the equivalent of, say, Hilton hotels (stay with me): franchises that might display the Hilton logo prominently on the outside, but once you go through the revolving door, you find they're independently run and not truly Hilton hotels in essence.

Rufus_the_dawg

yes west is fantastic

Rufus_the_dawg

Quote from: Matt2112 on June 23, 2022, 10:32:02 PM
Quote from: pdw1 on June 23, 2022, 06:57:57 PM

Love them both.  Thing is, the Rabin albums were really just that - Rabin albums.  That's when Yes turned into the equivalent of, say, Hilton hotels (stay with me): franchises that might display the Hilton logo prominently on the outside, but once you go through the revolving door, you find they're independently run and not truly Hilton hotels in essence.

Rabin's yes are very different. I saw the ARW tour and Rabin was great.

Rabin's - Can't look away is a very good rock album.

David L

Quote from: Rufus_the_dawg on June 24, 2022, 10:39:23 PMRabin's - Can't look away is a very good rock album.

Can't Look Away is saturated with keyboards. Wolf is Rabin's 'rock' album

Matt2112

Can't Look Away is an utterly sublime album.

Slim

Thanks for the tip, I'll have a listen
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

Slim

Quote from: Slim on June 25, 2022, 10:24:56 AMThanks for the tip, I'll have a listen
Not for me, that one.
H5N1 kIlled a wild swan

dom

The Roger Dean ' opening act' has cancelled due to illness for tomorrow's Dublin gig. Will I be missing much for anyone that went?