News:

The forum now has a spoiler function. See the Site News section for more info.

Main Menu

W(h)ine

Started by Nickslikk2112, June 18, 2022, 09:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nickslikk2112

I could well be moaning about it - I do about most things...

I'm currently drinking an Argentine fortified Malbec called Malamado. It's OK, bit spicier than a Port and with a definite hint of Currants. It was on offer at Tesco, I'd buy it again - on offer.

Slim

I'm not a fan of wine but in the last couple of years ago I started stealing the wife's Sauvignon Blanc to consume with food - very refreshing after a bike ride if it's chilled. I started buying my own Chilean version (she likes the New Zealand variant) because it's cheap from Tesco, £3.89 a bottle. Highly quaffable.

Sometimes I steal her Merlot as well and that can be very nice if I'm in the right mood. I don't drink that with food, though.

Nickslikk2112

Just remembered, with Saturday's Charlie Bigham Chicken and Ham Gratin we had a 2013 Saintsbury Carneros Chardonnay.

At that age I thought it might have been a bit old, but no, was still very fresh. It was one I'd found in my dad's "Wine Cellar" I assume he bought it a few Christmases back and forgot about. So it was nice to drink and remember the old feller. I introduced him to Saintsbury back in the days when I was richer.

Matt2112

Love my reds but can't abide whites or pinks.

As far as bargains go, Aldi have a Tempranillo by Toro Loco which is about 4 quid and is pretty impressive for the price.  I tried it after reading an article on The Independent's site which mentioned it had compared favourably with wines at ten times the price in blind taste tests.

Nickslikk2112

I started out as a white wine man before switching over to red, but whites are creeping back again, I drink about 2:1 red to white, but a well chilled, crisp rosé is perfect on a hot summer's evening.

David L

Like a Pinot Grigio blush, I do

Nickslikk2112

St Hallett Faith Shiraz for me tonight. Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy :)

Don't really go in for Pinot Grigio, especially not blush ones - even though it can give pink wines - I like me a nice golden, honeyed Pinot Gris from Alsace. I'd have cracked one open tonight to celebrate the TdF finishing on La Planche des Belles Filles, but I can't afford one :(

Fishy

Got an Italian white wine tasting coming up next weekend .. forgotten all about it tbh...
From The Land of Honest Men